1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's a hell of a lot better than letting the people who tried to end democracy by destroying the peaceful transfer of power to just walk off free with no consequences.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In addition to punishing the individual, holding criminals to account for their crimes presumably deters future crime and criminals.

In this case punishment would deter future attempts to violently overthrow the government.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So surrender to terrorists?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think of it more of a supply and demand issue. Outside of a few major metros, a personal automobile is a necessity, not a luxury.
    I'm not talking giant SUVs and fancy sports cars. I'm talking any type of transportation. Most Americans have to have them to get to work and to the grocery store.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Since the Democrats are finished as a party, won't matter in the future etc. why does the GOP need to run Trump in '24? Obviously ANY Republican can win that race, right?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

100% agree with the first two; I'll add 3) finding 12 fair-minded people, i.e. ensuring that none of the 12 is a Trumpist nullifier who has no intention to hear and consider testimony and render a thoroughly thoughtful verdict.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They've got to try to prosecute. Sure, there's the problem of going for the king and missing. There are the problems of finding a statute that a jury will grasp and apply to the defendant. But the alternative is to let that klan do the same thing whenever they can't win by legal means. Eventually, democracy gets eroded to the point at which it can be toppled entirely.

matt_garth likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I profoundly disagree. If the government cannot enforce the rule of law for fear of violent reaction, it's no longer a government. I also believe that if Trump were indicted and convicted, there'd be a great deal of screaming, but relatively little action.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The most driven cars in America are big ones.
    Best-Selling Cars, SUVs And Pickups Of 2022 (To Date)

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But Infrastructure Week?

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Good thoughts and argument. I guess we disagree regarding whether a gay man, particularly someone as seemingly capable as Buttigieg, could be President. And I actually think a gay man becoming President will happen before the election of any lesbian woman, just like men are considered more than and are/have been seen and treated as more valued than women in, oh, just about everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted