1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No, you see, Joe ... they weren't going to offer you money for your vote.

They weren't lobbyists, which are bad enough. They're supposed justices who love injecting their personal politics into the process, which is worse.

But you're too stupid to know this, Joe. Or still expecting someone to pay you and/or shine a media spotlight on you. Go away. Now.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't mistake what Collins did as naivete. She's just a liar. She voted for Kavanaugh knowing damn well what he'd do. Gorsuch, too. Once the Republican primary was over in Maine she voted against Barrett to firm up that "independent" image Maine voters mistake for integrity.

3. Sam Mills 51

Forget that. He's so stupid that he could be stoked easier than Nathan R. Jessup. He's DYING to tell you who issues the Code Red.

OscarMadison, Fred siegle and garrow like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Certain fans of fall Saturdays in Georgia would probably give Herschel a vote if he were running against Santa Claus.

(I got the bigger point, but college football in the South borders on religion ... the blind spots can be enormous.)

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be "move to South Dakota" drastic. It's already happening and only going to accelerate in places where the jobs and affordable housing converge. That's where population is booming.

Like Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Birmingham, Huntsville, Columbia, Spartanburg, Charleston. And everywhere in Florida. The "brain drain" from northern and central states has been under way for some time. You can't swing a cat in Raleigh without hitting a craft brewery/boutique restaurant/trendy bar or a construction crane.

If the 2020 Georgia senatorial play-ins (sorry, silly Gil Thorp reference) proved anything, the seesaw is already tipping, albeit slowly for now. The influx of new centrist residents in "SEC states," who on average have higher incomes and education, are overwhelming the numbers of poor white trash having babies. That's part of why the evangelical strategy to ban abortions is vital to the GOP.

For example, Georgia and North Carolina have added 1 million new residents since 2010, and South Carolina and Tennessee over 500,000. (And Florida's added 3 million, which makes things really fascinating for not only 2024, but 2028 and beyond.) Those aren't births. Those are overwhelmingly adults, and most of them employed.

On the other hand, the "white flight" of GOP-leaning Californians are going to states (Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Montana) with smaller electoral college representation for now, resulting in what should be a net gain for Democrats overall. California and New York will stay solid blue states, but the New, New South becomes a battle between small rural counties vs. big urban centers. I don't know if Abrams has a chance against Kemp, but he's more vulnerable than any GOP governor in Georgia for quite some time.

The 2020 census -- if it wasn't so screwed up by Trump -- should show this whole "north to south, west coast to mountain" population shift. It'll definitely be more pronounced by 2030.

The Republicans have to beg, borrow and steal now, because us Baby Boomers will eventually kick the bucket. (Not any time soon, at least for me personally, God willing.)

Fred siegle and Driftwood like this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The U.S. birth rate (and other developed countries) has been ongoing for years. Really, brilliant GQP strat to counter that.

maumann likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Housing in Raleigh and Charlotte has become unreasonable. Yes, the 'burbs might be a little more tolerable, but no one goes "I can't wait to get on I-485 or the Beltline."

Driftwood, lakefront and maumann like this.
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I predict the influx of people into Florida will make it now overwhelmingly Republican.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The ones going to Florida now are going there because the libruhls back home are “taking muh freedum!”

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

There is truth to this. A family who moved into my neighborhood left California because they were tired of the liberals.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe not your neighbors specifically, but how many California transplants are going to be like “I wanted more conservative, but not like this.” There’s a big difference in wanting a property tax cut and having skinheads march on the library board.

Fred siegle, maumann and Mngwa like this.
  12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’d like to think you are right, but we don’t seem to hear from many of those conservatives these days.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted