1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What evidence could you possibly have that we’re polite company?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought the exact same thing @maumann when watching that press conf clip. I haven't been in a Nascar media center in about 7 years but some things don't change, I guess.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I didn’t know there was Claire B. disdain?

I’m trying to think of who would even travel anymore, because Charlotte doesn’t always. AP? Maybe Gluck? Although I’m sure he’s elsewhere from time to time. Jim Utter? The “NASCAR Wire Service”?

And I’m wondering who tipped off NASCAR, because they surely weren’t the only ones using that.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Still traveling with NASCAR … Utter, Fryer, Dustin Long, Nate Ryan and Lang. That might be it.

In the NASCAR.com story about JGR not appealing the DQs, JGR’s director of competition said the team “discovered” good-size pieces of tape under the wrap and over each of the lower corners of the front fascia by the wheel openings. The difference thickness-wise was 12 one-thousandths of an inch. Sounds like somebody thought they could get away with a couple extra pieces of bear bond.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Pockrass is still making most of them, but that's a pretty small list.

Interesting. I wonder if that would stiffen the fascia enough to provide a little more downforce, or perhaps placed in a way to direct just enough air flow away from the wheels to act like mini winglets. Pocono's straights are so long and the corners are relatively flat, just a tiny bit of aero advantage could prove significant.

Then again, I'm not the automotive engineer in the family.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

Also still traveling with NASCAR weekly: Pocky, obv.

maumann likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nate was in Iowa this weekend.

maumann likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The former tool-and-die-maker on the board would note that 0.012 inches sounds little, but it ain't.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

My dad is retiring next month as a tool and die maker. He started there before I was born.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I did it from junior high through college, then took a few years off to peck out newspaper stories. When I got out of that, I did it close to another ten years, then decided the B-school ivory tower looked awfully inviting. Crazy to think how my life would have turned out had I not taken that fork in the road ...

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

Absolutely, and when you add in the 11 square inches of space on each side that’s that much bigger … whether it stiffens the nosepiece, changes the airflow or both, that’s a significant change. I’m sure the other JGR/23XI cars had already hauled ass out of there, but I’m curious to know if they saw any benefits from whatever the 11 and 18 teams were doing.

NASCAR wasn’t kidding when it told teams not to mess with the car. There are no more gray areas.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's not what she said.

Draft saved Draft deleted