1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fair share.

doctorquant likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well-off people explaining why a thing that might put some extra coins in your peasant pocket is actually A Bad Thing. Always my favorite part of sj.com.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know a young woman who got her degree in social work. She does a lot of good out in the community. In that field, if you don't have a Masters degree, you can't make enough money to live on, so she did. She's thirty or so. She has $14k in student debt. That $10k is life changing for her and many people like her, since paying off four grand is very doable. The idea of getting married and buying a house is no longer out of reach for her.

Anecdotal? I don't care. I know several people where the situation is similar. Generally when there's a big government subsidy it goes to banks, energy companies, real estate, etc instead of the middle class.

4. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Somebody’s scared:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I never took out a student loan, because I dropped out of college and took out a loan to buy a new truck instead. I have no problem with reducing student loan liability. I’m sure @The Big Ragu can detail how the cost of higher education defied price discovery or whatever the term is, but the fact of the matter is that post-secondary education is very much a requirement for advancement in today’s society and the price does not actually reflect anything other than the fact that there’s free money out there. So, I am completely fine with removing some of the burden from the people who can least afford it. If you’re a business owner or shareholder and you have a problem with this, maybe stop requiring a college degree as a condition of employment.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Great.
    Now compare workers wages v executive wage increases over the same period.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nothing changed. They are just handing out about $300 billion (or whatever it is) to a hand-picked segment of the population (and actually not the poorest segment, which is why the smarmy posts are even wrong), putting the cost on everyone else. ... and government guaranteed / subsidized loans (the stupid idea that gave us all of that debt and turned a college degree or a masters into what a high school degree used to practically be) are still going to continue to put a price floor under tuition and keep the cost rising, while forcing more and more people to feel like they have no choice except to start (and likely not finish) a degree that they think they need just to step into the job market.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You must love reading the Washington Post editorial page ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/24/biden-student-loan-forgiveness-mistake/

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So workers who got richer nevertheless became poorer because "the suits" got even richer?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Our household income is 87% of what it was in 2010.

And it's only that high because twice as many people are working full time.

Draft saved Draft deleted