1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The main reason it almost certainly won't affect me is that I ain't gonna be punching this clock very much longer. In fact, I came very close to walking away this go 'round.

There's some chance I'll stick around until my next post-tenure-review (I just cleared my most recent one), but that possibility trades at one HELL of a discount.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would have been better if how much college debt you could accumulate was dependant upon your major. Business? STEM? How much you need. History (guilty) perhaps $25k tops.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Every land grant university in this country should be free to state residents.

Likewise community colleges and trade schools.

Or just do what Germany does.

Free, free, free except for administrative costs.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and Mngwa like this.
  4. DanOregon

Or even do a business-based deal where companies that help pay off student loans get a write-off. Might help them retain workers.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Instead of price controls (which create shortages), wouldn't it be better to: 1) let all of those potential history majors make the decision for themselves how much a history degree is worth to them, and 2) stop a government policy of guaranteeing all loans that has given us moral hazard (which has now playing out with the inevitable cost of "debt forgiveness" being forced on the public) and make it so that anyone who is going to loan money to a history major has to evaluate the credit worthiness of the loan for themselves?

Lenders who are going to bear the consequences of a default on the loan would have to take into account a variety of factors about the applicant him or herself. ... in addition to things like how good the school is and what it means for the person's job prospects. ... or factoring in the likely earnings potential of a history major and how much of a loan it merits to make it a good lending risk.

6. DanOregon

It is interesting to note how schools are now crafting majors almost in conjunction with employers. I'm not talking about the rise of "sports management" degrees, but stuff like working in a pharmacy, construction management, hospitality etc. rather than the "classics" Though I do love my liberal arts degree because I've been able to adapt and learn various careers fairly easily.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

American Universities are the best in the world.

German Universities are starved for funding and are never near the top of any international ranking. Anyone of any means from Germany goes to school elsewhere.

It's a solution (at least as long as you can keep running up debt as Germany is since it instituted free tuition) that has given them universal mediocrity (and is likely unsustainable anyhow). Their undergrads sit in lecture halls with several hundred students, and frustration levels are high actually. Not to mention that living costs are not free, free, free, so it's not quite what it sounds like. Educationally, they don't have enough money for teaching, let alone research, which has been the real casualty of all of the free, free, free.

The free, free, free really comes with costs. It's OK to advocate for it, but you need to at least acknowledge the costs honestly.

Azrael likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

High taxes and the same dissatisfactions that come with free national health care.

But we can also acknowledge that a better educated public is a net benefit to their economy and the conduct of their politics and government.

Low cost / no cost higher education is a national investment. If you choose it to be so.

Mngwa likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

38721B38-D64E-4444-A88E-A160F9838921.jpeg 246146C6-A2FB-4EBA-842B-EE23CE5F4B40.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My wife got her undergrad almost completely paid for through the NIH since it was related to healthcare. I don’t think that program is around, and if it is, it’s been severely cut back.

11. DanOregon

Always thought teachers should have their loans taken care of - particularly since most states require continuing education in order to keep your certification.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

TowelWaver and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted