1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tough shit. Not everything HAS TO BEto help the poor. How about sliding a piece of pie to the children of the middle class taxpayers, who grow up to be middle Class tax payers. The folks who pay the sales taxes, property taxes and local, state and federal income taxes. All they want is goo schools for their kids, good police who protect them, good fire departments and a few parks and Recs programs.

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We’re simply “too big to fail!”
    Am I doing that right?
    I mean, that was the narrative I was fed with Wall Street.
    Auto companies (Chrysler was so good they did it twice).
    Pretty much any big business.
    Shit, when I worked for Lean Dean he managed to announce the company filing for bankruptcy and fly in on his private plane in the same week. That’s some brass ones right there.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Quite the thread on GRU infiltration operations.

4. Neutral Corner

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's so broad a definition of "regressive" as to be meaningless. I'm too poor to own a car and yet my money goes to the Interstate Highway System? And for tax breaks to niddle-class families so they can have kids? And to wealthy farmers? etc. etc.

Working class people go to college. They have debt as well, as that article pointed out. (Unless they're using their Pell grants to party or whatever.) So it's not all middle-class folks who are going to be helped.

Also.... I'm sure you can say this about a lot of opinion pieces in the Post but maybe if Amazon paid its fair share of taxes, there'd be more money to go around.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And still, nothing will happen.

wicked likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Suck it up, snowflake.

vicd likes this.
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The specific type of locks and the specific types of safes (let alone specifications for the rooms) to house TS/SCI information is very clear, if only SOMEONE on the Trump team had paid attention to any one of the numerous security briefings I'm certain they were required to take.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

As the WSJ pointed out, one mistake doesn't justify another. Address the actual merits of this program.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's regressive because people who earn less than the people getting the benefit are going to bear the burden of subsidizing them. Putting regressive in quotation marks doesn't put ambiguity around what regressive taxation / government policy is.

This takes money from the broader tax base (most of which didn't go to college) to subsidize the education of people who earned degrees that have value.

Student loans are not a proxy for household income. Students from high-income and low-income households are just as likely to take on debt, and in fact students from higher-income families borrow the largest amounts.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am not going to argue the economics of Biden's decision, that seems to be in other fine hands. I'll stick to the raw politics. This was a Biden campaign promise. He pretty much had to keep it in some way. He promised, and people may pretend to be cynical, but they get pretty mad when a pol doesn't keep his promise to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted