1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Whitewater and the travel office stuff came very early into his first term. I want to say it was in the first six or nine months. Clinton got rolling thanks to the beginning of an unprecedented economic boom. Democrats got taken to the cleaners on welfare reform.

This crew has little excuse. They were all in the White House four years earlier. They saw how horrible Republicans are.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My kids originally enrolled in Oakton High School which is an affluent school in Northern Virginia (I lived in the poorer section of the district). A counselor showed me a where the graduates went to high school. The SEC schools attracted a lot of the kids who went out of state. I asked why. He said kids going to the SEC with money who did not get admitted to Virginia, William and Mary or Virginia Tech.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This is antidotal but I went to I graduated from high school a semester early and went to the University of Colorado Denver, taking the bus. I wanted to hang around my hometown for the end of my senior year while transitioning to college. I also did not believe I would have the money to live on-campus in to Boulder.

My Dad had erratic incomes because he was a salesman and changed jobs for a variety of reasons six times in ten years. But my senior year in high school he was making about 14K a year, which would be about 90K a year in today's dollars. My Mom worked part time. But our family lived pay check to pay check and we never had money. We always had old cars, the last black and white television in the neighborhood and I had paper routes.

My Mom insisted that I apply for financial aid though I did expect to get any. One of the happiest days in my life was the day the envelope came that gave me enough financial aid to go to school in Boulder . I still remember driving my mom's 67 Pontiac up to Boulder to turn in my financial aid and touring the campus. I pretty much paid for that year with my paper route money and the aid.

The summer of my sophomore year when my Dad's company shuttered I asked for my financial aid to be adjusted due to my circumstances and essentially got a 100% ride. The same thing happened before my senior year when my Dad again lost a job.

I left college with something like $3,000 in debt. So I can't get upset about a loan reduction for kids coming out now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Should’ve used this.

0215CF13-F711-49BB-A66B-58ECA3CDD1CE.jpeg

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

All the hullabaloo about the college debt forgiveness is nothing more than the GOP’s attempt to distract people from Trump’s File-a-Lago.

That’s all.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Mar-a-Lardo should be fenced off as a crime scene already. The tunnels, the whole fucking neighborhood. LIKE WACO.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of the California kids who don't get into a UC head north to Oregon - hence the Cal St. Eugene moniker. Or they head to the Big 10.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Texas has stupid rules where you get admission to either of the 2 biggest schools — UT and A&M — by graduating in the top 10% of your class. Of course that could mean an inner-city school in Houston or Dallas, or a rich whitebread school like Highland Park or Prosper. At any rate a ton of otherwise qualifying Texas students are invading campuses in Norman, Stillwater and Fayetteville.

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The Best and Brightest

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's the top 10% for A&M (and all other state schools) ... it's the top 6% for UT-Austin.

TowelWaver and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That, and the GOP always feels they have to complain about anything that a Dem president does.

I mean, when Obama announced Bin Laden’s death, the GOP had to be dragged kicking and screaming into offering a few measly words of praise.

Draft saved Draft deleted