1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We’re all doomed.

Liut likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just saw where it's actually low tide. That's one bright spot for Lee and Charlotte counties. But the storm surge on the Sanibel and Fort Myers Pier cams is pretty ugly.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Martha’s Vineyard looking awful good about now. Fuck you desantis. I’m praying to your god that your family is crushed by this hurricane

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Charlotte County is going to get good and fucked. But because it is eating the eyewall, Tampa Bay should get off with fat less damage than it could have. Calling this a Tampa hurricane is like calling one that hits Pascagoula a New Orleans storm.

5. maumann

This hurricane is unusual in that the western and southern quadrants are the strongest. It's still brutal on the northeastern side, but somewhat weaker than what's typical. Waiting for more wind info, but there was an 80 mph gust in Naples. Ruskin got a 46 and most everything from Sarasota south was above 60.

6. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up; Force Thirteen will be nearby as this worsens.

maumann likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Track shifted from over my house to outside the cone of death in just 30 hours.

I don't think I've ever seen a storm projected to go from major to tropical storm as quickly as Ian. Hell, Wilma landed around Naples as a Cat 2 and was still a very strong Cat 1 as it exited Fort Lauderdale. Of course, it was zooming along at 25 mph.

MileHigh, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  8. maumann

David in 1979 was heading directly at Fort Lauderdale with possible Cat 3 status and then suddenly veered up the coast when it caught the Gulfstream. We were prepared for a massive hit and barely got more than a summer thunderstom.

MileHigh and Driftwood like this.
  9. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

When I went to bed last night, the projected path was about 12 miles from my backyard. Now it's 35-40, so maybe I won't need all the Gentleman Jack.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All the time Wilma was on the way we were told, "The east is the worst side." Well, we got hit with the east side first. Loud, lots of banging as parts of a screen enclosure were apart and bouncing around, but didn't lose power or satellite service. Beautiful eye came, and then the west side. After a few minutes, goodbye power, and goodbye satellite dish.

Smartest thing I ever did was call DirectTV as soon as it happened. New dish installed in 4 days. Had I waited until the end of the day to call, the backup would have been a month.

maumann likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

How many "Florida Man" headlines are we going to see in the coming days?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not nearly as many as "DeSantis Did This!!!!"

Draft saved Draft deleted