1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How many bottles of ketchup will be sacrificed when the subpoena is announced?

Spartan Squad and garrow like this.
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Futile but some/any throwing of the gauntlet was needed. Appeal to vanity.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And here’s John Q. Beltway, Editor of Bothsides Magazine to explain why that is as bad as Jan.6

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a reason it's bad for inflation.

5. HanSenSE

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I looked up my Social Security account a few days ago. I’ve been working, on the books, every year since 1978. Worked without papers at 14&15 for cash. I’ve paid in about $140,000 in Social Security and about $60,000 in Medicare Medicaid taxes. My various employers have also paid like amounts, theoretically the employer contributions are in lieu of pay. So that’s $400,000 of my money paid into an insurance system, interest free. Right now, if I retire at 67 I will get $3117 month. It will take 128 months to get back my own contributions. But that money should have at least doubled over a 44 year period. Yes it’s an insurance policy. Yes my payments go to benefit others who didn’t earn as much and pay as much in taxes. But no one is giving people like me anything. That COLa is deserved. Not a gift. I fucking earned it. I’ve paid a million dollars or more in income taxes. Again, I understand how taxes work so it’s no surprise that I do t see a return on my investment in this country. And my wife paid $400,000 into the SS system and died before she could collect a penny. I got $230 from social security for burial expenses

So you’ve got my money, you’re not giving it back, you’re not supplying me with services anywhere close to my contributions. I paid for it, where’s my privilege?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

Here it comes ...

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

9-0 vote to subpoena. I'll get the popcorn.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Social Security is a racket. My mom worked for the city for most of her life, so she gets a pension. She also paid into SS when she worked other jobs (10 years), but because she has the municipal pension they dock her two-thirds of what her SS would be for her other jobs. I don't get it. If you worked in a job that contributed to the pot, you should get money from the pot.

Neutral Corner and tea and ease like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2(020) Late

Draft saved Draft deleted