1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

The FBI warned the Secret Service, the Capital Police, and the White House that there were people in the crowd that intended to take over government buildings. Nothing was done because Trump ordered everyone to stand down and his lackeys pushed to enforce it.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I kind of had Pelosi down for more of the soap-opera style slap.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

It's well-known that Ron Johnson is a Russian asset and a colossal jackass, but even by his subterranean standards, this is low.

garrow likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

7. Neutral Corner

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And yet he’s clearing 52 percent in the latest polls. Wisconsin is a weird-ass state to figure.

garrow and I Should Coco like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There are some really dark corners in the Dairy State.

Not that the U.P. was any bastion of enlightenment (SJ.com Yoopers excluded, of course), but Northern Wisconsin is deep red beyond its Badgers colors.

And the two lane highway along Lake Michigan heading into Menominee, Mich., had one of the scariest looking strip clubs I've ever seen. I'd swear there was a sign above the door that said, "Abandon all hope ye who enter here." I think the doorman was a dog with three heads.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK, but then Tammy Baldwin is a senator from the same state.

garrow likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It is. I think Wisconsin Democrats picked the wrong candidate to beat a guy like Johnson. Frankly, a black guy named Mandela gets you almost no votes outside the people who were probably voting for you already. Most of the successful Wisconsin Republicans past and present (Scott Walker on down) have built their brands on being assholes. Right now, the Democrats that have won statewide elections in Wisconsin do so by portraying themselves as normal. Tony Evers, the governor, is almost a caricature of Midwestern reasonableness. And then he proposes something to the Wisconsin Legislature and they tell him to go fuck himself.

Barnes, probably simply by virtue of being Black, frankly, makes scared white suburbanites and rural dairy farmers think of BLM and defunding the police. That would be bad already even if the Kenosha riots hadn't happened. There's as much polarization between Milwaukee proper and the sub/ex-urban counties that surround it as any metro area in the country.

I don't understand what Wisconsinites see in Ron Johnson. He's stupid, he's an asshole, he's got practically no everyman credibility, he's got ties to Putin, January 6 and all the MAGA greatest hits but trying to get 120% turnout in Madison and Milwaukee and getting pasted everywhere else is a crappy strategy.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted