1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I normally like to vote on Election Day, but in 2020, I did early voting due to wanting to avoid large crowds with COVID. Turned out that I had to wait on line for a half hour.

I was going to vote today, but I saw this one tweeter who said that they always do early voting because they’re able to and they don’t want to clog up the lines for those who can only take time off on Tuesday. I thought they were right, and went to early voting last Thursday. No lines, just a few voters. Did my civic duty and voted D across the board.

I’m in a congressional district that’s been in flux the last few years with resignations and redistricting. It’s actually one of the very few competitive districts out there. Typically, whoever gets elected will mouth the party lines, but they mostly work pretty quietly. You rarely see our Reps on the cable gabfests, and the GOPErs who get elected generally don’t act too crazy because they know most of us won’t tolerate religious right stupidity. The Dems who get elected mostly work on environmental issues and do a bunch of ribbon cuttings.

It’s almost kinda refreshing, really.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I miss it too, and am debating whether to have leftovers or throw a frozen pizza in the oven for dinner tonight.

Spot on about the hovering useless editors. In sports, having them around was annoying because they had no clue what we did every night and they kept getting in our way.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Whose side are you on?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What the heck is the difference between a Democrat and a Dem/Prog or a Prog/Dem, all of which are on the ballot?

And Dick Sears is running as a "Dem/Rep". What's that?

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I got all hot and steamy in my car, carefully using circular motions on just the right spot. The rain pitter-pattered on my car, but it was drowned out by the rustling and scraping from within my car. When it was finished, I gave a good lick. Ran my hand across my window that had fogged up to see if anyone was around. Seeing no one, I made a quick dash for the box and slid it through.

Damn it feels good to vote.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Vermont's progs have their own party and taken over what used to be the Vermont Democratic Party which is far left now. It keeps good people out of office.

Dick is a Dem but also endorsed by Vermont's GOP so he can have an R by his name too. There's a much more specific answer but that's the gist of it.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of course!

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somebody getting started a day early on the purge.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/m...utler-county-home/XALOERKDY5C5DEPAGRIWIJUBLY/

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You expect it and even tolerate it to a degree from foreign adversaries. It's when they're working in cahoots or with the encouragement and tacit approval of Americans that I have a big fucking problem -- with the traitorous Americans.

It's like the mob. They don't have a problem with cops trying to take them down; that's their job. But being a rat is the cardinal sin.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you get more votes than the other party in the primary you get to run as that party too hence D/R.

If there isn't a candidate in the other party then you just need 25 write-in votes from the other party to be D/R.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Points to ponder:

1. If you voted, you did all you could. You cannot control the other 250 million Americans.
    2. Even worst-case scenario on 538 gives the GOP a 14-1 odds of a 54-46 advantage in the Senate, roughly 5-1 of 53-47, 2-1 of getting 52-48, and 6-in 10 of 51-49. 45 out of every 100 projections keeps the Democrats in control of the Senate.
    2. Joe Biden still has veto powers over every bill that comes across his desk for the next two years, no matter how ridiculous they may be. And the Senate needs 2/3rds to overturn. Ain't happening, no matter how much revenge they want.
    3. The House can impeach the President and Vice President a zillion times between January 2023 and January 2025 and it won't matter one damn bit.

I really think Nate Silver has overcompensated for the turnouts in 2016 and 2020 this time. He's taking a "typical midterm" turnout and trying to extrapolate GOP gains based on traditional mid-term corrections. One of the reference points, for example, is GOP turnout for the primaries, which was up. But in Georgia, a ton of Democrats (like me) asked for GOP ballots to vote anti-Trump. I don't know if Silver's taking that into consideration.

However, the turnout for this election is blowing away typical midterm numbers and just as many Democrats are enthused as the GOP. The more votes, the more this may skew for the Democrats in key states.

Oz, Walker and Laxalt are forecasted to win all three toss-up elections but any or all could wind up in runoffs. And Silver admits he's baked in GOP bias and despite that, Republicans in all three races are not only below 50 percent but still within random polling error. On the other hand, Kelly and Hassan are well over 50 percent in his polling despite the same GOP polling bias. It could be everybody still underestimates conservatives but I believe they're also underestimating Democrats, especially the under-30 crowd.

Republicans were going to control the House no matter what. They may still get the Senate, but it's going to be a Red ripple, not a wave tonight.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

it's odd leaving work where I had about 15 years on everyone to go to my polling station where everyone had about 50 years on me

Draft saved Draft deleted