1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's really interesting to think about. Many in the GOP are trashing Trump for the lack of a red wave, not realizing his voters are all they have left. NOW they want to continue on Trumpism, just without Trump. I could see Trump pouting about it, leaving the GOP and Walker out to dry. Or actually demanding public apologies on Fox before he gets involved in Georgia - because Walker has no shot without Trump. See JD Vance. The turnout will also be smaller, with fewer casual voters.
    The runoff also provides no cover for people - "real Republicans" who might have voted for him while they were voting for Kemp and other GOPers, or even those who said they'd leave that one blank. (the Walker/Kemp "undervote" was 200k). I you are going to vote - you are going to vote for Walker.
    Coming three days after the SEC Championship game, it might come down to if Georgia wins that game or not - and I'm being dead serious.

OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

we too have coincidentally and independently arrived at the same conclusion as the new york post

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How many more votes would Boebert have gotten had so many of her constituents not died from the Rona?

4. DanOregon

Let the feast begin!

[​IMG]

And I almost pity, the next speaker if the GOP takes the House with a narrow majority. It will be brutal. I really think in the final analysis - while voters are disatisfied with the Dems for whatever reason, the GOP failed to put forth a compelling argument or that they could be trusted with solving the problems of today.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not just the Murdoch outfits. The GOP wants Trump to disappear, and they are finally sensing just enough weakness to try a coordinated campaign. So enter Murdoch's media outlets to do the campaign.

Their problems are twofold: 1) They have kind of been here before, and there are way too many of them who will still try to play both sides of the fence rather than going all in on trying to slay the dragon -- because they have no principles and they are weasels. They are afraid of what will happen if they don't manage to get rid of him. And things can, and often, change, especially when you are dealing with Trump, who has no shame and will keep trying relentlessly even in the face of long odds. If you don't get in a kill shot quickly, he may skate through. 2) Then there is the fact that they have done irreperable damage to their party.

As an example, I was thinking about the NY governor's race. Kathy Hochul was primed to lose. She's unlikeable, even the dumb masses understood she was a typical Democratic machine politician playing with billions of dollars of public money to benefit herself. ... and there is a general sense in New York City, at least, that we are heading back to the 1970s with fiscal problems and people fearing for their own safety. And that should have translated to the voting machine the way it typically does. From my perspective, she was so disgusting to me that it might have been enough to get me to hold my nose and vote for a typical generic Republican in the pre-Trump environment, simply because I think she is the worst kind of politician (not flying under a MAGA banner). But there was no way I could circle Lee Zeldin's name after he had sold his soul to Trump to try to advance his ambitions. I have to figure that there werea relatively significant number of other voters like me -- maybe people who like to think of themselves as "independents" (whatever that means) and wanted to vote against Hochul, but would never give their vote to Zeldin. And my thought was, "Would those uncast votes for him have given him the win?" I really think he ended up acing himself by kissing Trump's ass, which alienated a lot of people.

I multiply that across the whole country, and I think that, 1) The Republican Party is very weakened because of Trump, and 2) despite the short attention span people have, there is not going to be a quick and easy, "Let's get rid of him and go back to the way things used to be." They've caused themselves long-term damage. I personally will never vote for any of the unprincipled career politicians who didn't stand up to his immorality along the way and the election BS. They can pretend like they didn't do it, try to be squishy about the past, but I'll have a memory like an elephant.

6. DanOregon

In sports terms - the GOP is like the crooked college football team that finally turns on its coach and reports flagrant violations during some championship years - but only after he loses two or three games early in a season.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the election results thus far....and yet enraged a party that attempted a coup LAST YEAR still has enough support to make it so close.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We’ve been here before with Trump. Most notably after 1/6. That should’ve been a knockout. Instead he got up to his feet at 9 and had the same people (McCarthy) sucking his dick two weeks later.

TowelWaver, SFIND and maumann like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

But we now have evidence over two elections that his supporters number about 37 percent. He has about 11 percent of the electorate as enablers (other Republicans). The party can do the math. Their ceiling is now 50 percent of the electorate. The Democrats are getting 50-51 percent of the electorate with massive inflation and an unpopular President. The ceiling is so much higher.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It would be a victory for the rule of law if Trump is indicted for classified document theft, his role in Jan. 6 or both, but it would also as a result blow away the rest of the GOP wannabe nominees. There's nothing the Republican base likes better than feeling persecuted. Trump would be their Capt. Dreyfus.
    The GOP also has to consider the words of LBJ discussing his reappointment of J. Edgar Hoover, "better to have him inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in."

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but:

Gen Z turnout was very high. Boomer turnout was about as expected.
    Mother Nature will decrease the Boomer turnout in '24.

TowelWaver likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And don't forget the Facebook post I see eleventy thousand times every election season.

"A lot of 17-year-olds will turn 18 this year!!"

As if that ever means anything.

A lot of 39-year-olds will turn 40, too, and start agreeing with Fox News.

tapintoamerica and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted