1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Good thread here from an employee who survived the cuts explaining why he pulled the ripcord. Worth a read, I just pulled out a couple of lines.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Due diligence takes all the fun out of spending $44 billion.

misterbc, HanSenSE, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If that one tweet thread from earlier positing that this is all Elon trying to play 5D chess by culling 90 percent of the workforce, he might be even dumber than I thought.

Just because the 10 percent that's left are true believers, Elon, it doesn't mean those 10 percent are the ones you need to run the site. 72 of 75 engineers quit. LOL. Fucking classic.

HanSenSE, garrow and FileNotFound like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That whaling and culling thing is absurd, and it gives him too much credit. The guy got the keys to the building and walked in and fired people before he had even taken a month to evaluate operations. He's not that well thought out.

Certainly Twitter had gotten fat, and was carrying a bloated workforce. Many analysts who followed it as a public company felt it could benefit financially from some draconian cuts without losing anything. It would likely be left with a leaner, more innovative set of software engineers, and the company would benefit financially. But these are not cuts that seem to be being done with any sense of purpose. He came in with a meat cleaver.

Layoffs are starting to hit the megacap tech firms in Silicon Valley. Amazon is letting 10,000 people go. Facebook is cutting 11,000 people. And with cheap money drying up, you aren't getting unprofitable companies and start ups throwing around ridiculous packages the way they were. Coders have not faced an environment where they didn't have a ton of leverage in a long, long time. So this may not burn Musk in the ass as badly as it would have, say 3 years ago. There are tens of thousands of freshly laid off engineers who are out there looking for work. But if he puts himself in a position where he has to avail himself of a loosening labor market, it won't have been by design. He's an absolute putz.

HanSenSE, sgreenwell and FileNotFound like this.
  7. Justin_Rice

I mean in theory if the Twitter stack is engineered well enough, it could run on autopilot for a long time. I doubt there's a lot of day-to-day maintenance necessary.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oh, for Twitter to still have one of these guys in-house ...

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If anybody was asking “Why would a company like Twitter need so many people?”, well, here’s why.

I work in tech. I have a really deep understanding of a few of our systems. Those systems talk to other systems, systems I don’t understand nearly as deeply. When teams that run those systems are decimated in layoffs, it creates the need for the replacement teams to either 1/gain a similar understanding of those tools or 2/reverse-engineer everything, and then they understand the reverse-engineered understanding, which may or may not match my understanding. Essentially, you’re not only starting from scratch when a new team is onboarded, you’re actually starting from less than scratch — imagine that you’re building a building on a site where a previous building stood. There will always be some sort of debris from the old building around which you have to work.

garrow, wicked and Regan MacNeil like this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is the classic "arbitrage" playbook right? Sure there are things to cull but damn manufacturing America has been the worse for it for the past 40 yrs.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Justin_Rice

In my time in newspapers and now in Software Engineering, I've been struck at how terrible we are at Knowledge Capture.

Basically there's always one or two people who know how to do a task, and when that person leaves suddenly .... holy fuck look out!

Draft saved Draft deleted