1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, there wasn’t any kneeling.

Second the Post was right. As was Drudge about Clinton. As was the The National Enquirer, a truly disreputable outlet, was about John Edwards.

Journalism isn’t about what outlet is impressive. It’s about: Do you have the story? Is it accurate? The Biden laptop story was. Now, how people feel about it - whether it’s a nothingburger or unrelated to the presidential campaign, which *I think it was* - is for a reader to decide. Twitter‘s actions, in effect, smeared that story as unsafe misinformation. It Iocked accounts that referred to it.

Of course the left on Twitter doesn’t see it as a big deal. It’s only a big deal if the left says it is.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. Nobody’s thirsty for that on a site that tilts
    95% left.

And the story’s not pig shit. It may not be a big story, and it may ultimately have had little to no bearing on the presidential election, but it’s not pig shit.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I follow the news more closely than is healthy, definitely more so than 80 percent of the American public (but probably just an average amount among members here.) And I still couldn’t tell you what the hell this story is supposed to be about. If somebody has a two-sentence elevator pitch, feel free.

What I’ve been able to suss out is that Hunter Biden is a failson and likely sleazy. It would not shock me if he broke the law. If he did, indict him and give him a jury trial. If he’s found guilty, give him a sentence somewhere within the published guidelines. But don’t go off on these grand conspiracy tangents backed by nothing but the fever dreams of known liars with political axes to grind. I can’t stress enough how much the vast majority of Americans do not care.

wicked, matt_garth, swingline and 4 others like this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The NYP was right about what? That Hunter Biden once owned a laptop that mysteriously ended up in the hands of his father’s political enemies? Congratulations on that.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Do you know what that word means?

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

There could be a video on that laptop of Hunter snorting blow off Joe's dick while holding a copy of his passport, with a notary in the corner, and I wouldn't believe it.

Chain. Of. Custody.

Baron Scicluna and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

teh left
    teh media

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Thirty years later and not much has changed.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Worse than anything Trump has ever done? While we’re playing the theoretical game, what if your boy Trump stole top-secret military secrets and sold them to his favorite country, Russia?

cyclingwriter2 and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Twitter had every right to do so. It's not the government and not subject to First Amendment protections. If you're asking me if people who worked for Twitter were mostly on the left, I'd agree with you. But whatever they did to suppress the story (and all they were asked to do was take down Hunter's dick pics) was no different than the Washington Post or MSNBC choosing not to run a certain story.
    And in regards to Hunter Biden ... I don't give a fuck what he did. If anything rises to the level of indictment, fine, be my guest. But there's one huge difference: Biden hasn't let his trouble child get anywhere near the Oval Office or have anything to do with policy. Trump's evil spawn were all over the joint, with their fingers in the pie.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Once again... for the one-millionth time ... a news outlet or a social media platform not covering a story or burying it, is not, in any way, a First Amendment issue.
    Lord have mercy ... some people are sorely in need of 9th-grade Civics textbook.

Draft saved Draft deleted