1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It’s never a good year to find a stranger in the Alps.

2. Regan MacNeil

Just out of curiosity, functionally, what would an unelected Speaker do? It's not like he or she would be the 436th vote. Just be third in line and stand behind the President during the SOTU? Wouldn't that person have no subpoena power, no committee assignments, etc.?

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

If it’s Trump you start impeachment proceedings against Biden and Harris

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You're killing your father, Larry.

Woody Long and Regan MacNeil like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

No, I get that part. The whole point would be to put Trump third in line. I was just wondering what actual legislative power an unelected Speaker would hold.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Mr. Speaker...perhaps
    Mr. Entitled....definitely

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wahbulance needed at the Capitol.

wicked, Webster and HanSenSE like this.
  8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

More from CNN on the closed-door meeting:

A closed-door meeting among Republican lawmakers ahead of the vote for House speaker is heating up.

As GOP leader Kevin McCarthy entered the room, he received a standing ovation from most people before he went over the rules package, sources tell CNN.

McCarthy raised his voice in the meeting as he animatedly teed off on his opponents, detailed all the concessions he has made and said that it hasn’t been good enough, two sources said.

“I’ve earned this job,” he said.
    “I’m not going to go away. I’m going to stand until the last four friends stand with me," he said, according to a source.
    McCarthy also swore in his speech, dropping a “god damnit.”
    A source called it a fiery speech and said McCarthy made clear he would negotiate no more. Another source told CNN that McCarthy took his opponents "to the woodshed like I've never seen.”

McCarthy said opponents came to him with “personal asks” on Monday night, such as committee assignments and special assignments.

Rep. Lauren Boebert yelled “bullsh*t” in response to his speech, according to a source.

GOP Rep. Mike Rogers, a McCarthy ally and incoming Chair of the House Armed Services, said in the meeting that anyone who votes against McCarthy won't get a committee, two sources tell CNN.

CNN previously reported this was a threat McCarthy allies were considering.

As an aide left the meeting, a CNN reporter was able to observe through the open door that GOP members packed the room, listening quietly. Maybe a dozen members were waiting to speak on the microphone that stood in the center hallway.

Rep. Chip Roy addressed Rogers' comments at the open microphone and was upset, a source said. He got into a heated back and forth with the GOP leader, with McCarthy teeing off on Roy, yet acknowledging he won’t have the votes on first ballot, and then Roy responding: “All you’re doing is guaranteeing the vote.”

The conference cheered on McCarthy as he took his detractors head on.

Rep. Ryan Zinke spoke up in favor of McCarthy, saying: "I'll use the words of Teddy Roosevelt. You're either with us or against us. The stakes are too high. I'm with you Kevin."

GOP Rep. Scott Perry got in a heated back-and-forth with McCarthy, even raising their voices in the closed door meeting, multiple sources tell CNN.

Perry accused McCarthy of not having a track record on spending bills. McCarthy asked Perry what is left for him to give, and questioned what he is still fighting for the sources added.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Oh, boy, this is going to be fun!"

/Flounder off

maumann likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Bibles are free, man.” -The Gideons

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I loved the Tweet I saw of Jr holding up a Bible he was selling with the caption "I'm surprised it didn't burst into flames."

Draft saved Draft deleted