1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Even for something as simple as rising and saying a name, half of these people on both sides can't help but being grandstanding asshats.

Tighthead likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Michael's nailed a lot of it. The Michigan GOP's downfall may have started as far back as the Flint water scandal, which quickly took a lot of the bloom off the rose of the technocrat and Chamber of Commerce types, leaving mostly just religious fanatics and conspiracists, which led to them getting massacred in the Detroit suburbs.

Another unspoken factor is probably Grand Rapids. Gretchen Whitmer carried Kent County by 30,000 votes. Joe Biden by 22,000. Whitmer won by less than 12,000 in 2018 and Trump won by about 10,000 in 2016. Going back, George Bush carried it by nearly 50,000 in 2004.

Basically, West Michigan, at least the urban part, is a lot bluer than it's been at just about any point in recent history. Which is notable considering it's given the world Gerald Ford but also the DeVos family and a lot of right-wingers over the years.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

God, that stopped me in my tracks. Buried memories.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well yeah, but in those days it took four days to get from New York to Philly.

wicked likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I hate giving you likes because you have way too many, but this is brilliant. Also my favorite Sesame Street clip when I was a kid (TBH it still is)

sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Damn Turnpike traffic.

UNCGrad, Woody Long, wicked and 2 others like this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Until yesterday I did not know it was the Pointer Sisters singing.

“OneTwoThreeFOURFive SixSevenEightNineTen ElevenTwelelelelelve!”

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In Mike Sowell’s book on Chapman’s death, apparently Chapman had supposedly converted during one of the periods he was conscious after the beaning. His wife was Catholic and his parents were Protestants; there were arguments between them over what type of service was going to be performed, and the Cleveland players had taken sides. Speaker supposedly fought one of the other players, although it was never fully confirmed.

Baseball teams were frequently divided by religion back then. It used to be said that rhe 1910s-era Red Sox we’re split by religious lines and frequently fought each other in between winning World Series.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

we are now up to seven pumpkin pies

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

"You wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the john, so why let these hooligans tear down the country."

garrow and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted