1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Happy Black History Month from America's most-watched cable news program where the outrage du jour is that only five white men got lifetime judgeships from Biden!

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Family fortune earned selling . . .

mgd5355.jpg

2muchcoffeeman and I Should Coco like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Interesting about the restaurant/nightclub origin.

And, to be clear, when I posted mine, it was entirely genuine ... I doubt there's anyone more stereotypically "Southern white" 'round these parts than me*, and while many's the time I've tucked into fried chicken surrounded by dozens of my pasty-faced brethren, I'd never heard of (fried) chicken and waffles until I was a grown-ass man. Which, given the near-100% overlap between the stereotypical "white Southern" cuisine and the stereotypical "Black" cuisine," struck me as odd.

*To which I've appended "Texan", or as Robert Duvall's character said in Geronimo, "the lowest form of white man there is."

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of the combo until I was an OLD grown-ass man. Maybe 10 years ago I started seeing them on menus. I've never actually tried the combo, because while I love both, I usually feel like breakfast OR lunch, not breakfast AND lunch.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Same here ...

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Samey same

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't have guessed that chicken and waffles is a Southern thing. I thought its origins were in Harlem. Like in the 1920s, 1930s, Harlem Nights days of Harlem.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's a little bit like 'fish fry.'

There's a version in every part of the country that's a source of local pride. Used to be a place on the way into Talladega, the Gateway Diner, that did a good one.

I had my first plate of chicken and waffles when I was kid, maybe 12 or 13, at Sylvia's up on Lenox Avenue (now Malcolm X Blvd). Probably 1970 or 1971. So I've always thought of it as an uptown, city dish.

And here's photographic evidence of an uptown 'Southern fried chicken and waffles' business that predated Wells:

Small's Paradise, 1929.

gettyimages-97256330-2048x2048.jpeg

H A R L E M + B E S P O K E: REMEMBER: LEGENDS OF HARLEM CHICKEN & WAFFLES

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    OscarMadison likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The popularity of chicken and waffles. .. like what people think about when they hear "chicken and waffles" today? I suspect that it's a dish that existed in a niche sort of way for a long time. . ... but what we actually know today grew out of Harlem and became a soul food staple.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've eaten more than my share of Southern Home Cooking / Soul Food over the years and never even heard of it until maybe five years ago. There are several soul food place around town who offer it now. It may have been around all that time and I just missed it, but I think that it has gradually crept south over time.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fried chicken in America was brought here by . . .

the Scots.

And then perfected by enslaved Africans.

The surprising origin of fried chicken

But there was a version of fried poultry almost everywhere in the world.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And now the percentage of white male federal judges dropped from like 83.2 percent to 82.4 percent.

OscarMadison and matt_garth like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted