1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If "active" means "meant to do it" and "passive" means "bumbled into it", I agree ...

Azrael likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How many times does one get to “passively” bumble into the same old tropes before it is a well-established pattern?

Fred siegle, Spartan Squad and wicked like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Isn't that a line from "Blowing in the Wind"?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know, right? Californians will begrudgingly wait up to an hour for two things: breakfast and a good car wash.

There’s a semi-famous breakfast joint here in Ventura called Pete’s. It has a waiting list every hour it’s open. It’s not any better than the 6 (!) other breakfast places within 1.5 miles.

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

“Ignorance” is a pretty good cover for racism.

The “boy” thing is well established. It goes back to the days of slave masters ordering around their “property.” If you graduated high school and don’t know that, I can’t help you.

You needn’t be progressive, just show some humility when you’re told something is offensive or just incorrect.

I didn’t put any thought into “spirit animal” (which was on every Tinder profile c. 2016) until it was explained that Native Americans don’t enjoy seeing the term tossed around. So fine, I don’t use it anymore.

Some of the Christians I know say even using a euphemism like JFC instead of saying the implied words is offensive. I learned.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For the purposes of the argument on the thread, sure. Probably sufficient.

But like "overt racism" and "covert racism" I think there are deeper, broader, more complicated definitions floating around the academy. https://news.stanford.edu/2020/06/09/seven-factors-contributing-american-racism/

That said, I'd also like to stipulate it unlikely any of the high school girls in that blackface video are from Mars.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Fuzzy Zoeller did not misspeak in 1997, nor was he misunderstood. He was cracking a joke about Black people and fried chicken. What he said wasn't 'race-tinged' or 'racist-tinged' or 'racism-tinged.'

Just straight up 'racist.'

If thereafter anyone wants to parse the question of whether or not Fuzzy Zoeller is himself a racist, good luck.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ve seen an argument that labeling an action as racist instead of a person lowers the temperature and improves the odds of a meaningful course correction. Probably something to that, although after a while some people clearly demonstrate they have covered both ends.

OscarMadison, wicked and Azrael like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds right. Especially with younger folks.

But then you also have explain why it's racist, and that means explaining its origin in race history.

Again, a good reason to be teaching this stuff in schools. Make it a unit in Civics. Or American history.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ron DeSantis just banned you from entering Florida. Go away with those crazy liberal ideas.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The problem with this is the people who are the cartoon opposites of the Ron DeSantis types (it's like a yin and a yang), who have tried to create racial narratives (and prescriptions) around everything and anything. It's very difficult to do what you are suggesting when you have a nation of rabid nutjobs trying to frame history to meet whatever objectives they have, rather than having the desire to just teach a little history and foster a free leraning environment that allows kids to figure out things on their own.

WriteThinking and Azrael like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

History and how we talk about history are pretty dynamic. After 400 years of talking about race one way, I expect the pendulum will swing a little too far the other way.

I'm OK with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted