1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I, for one, am shocked.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Great Truman's ghost! The Washington Post co. donated to a right-wing governor?

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is also one of prime areas in the country for technological advances and some really important bio-tech, health and pharmaceutical research efforts that literal life-savers in the near future.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boston would be the greatest city on earth, if all of those Bostoners didn't live there.

X-Hack, maumann and Fred siegle like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

A Bruins home game on St. Patrick's Day is still on my bucket list. The only game more fun than their visit to Nashville on SPD that season was the weekend the kids from UAH came to play in a Div III exhibition series. #HometownBallWillAlwaysTrumpThePros

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How do you feel about Philadelphia?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Philadephia would still be a shithole. ... even if all of the animals from Philadelphia didn't live there.

I say that as someone who spends a lot of time in Philadelphia (unfortunately).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Milwaukee and Chicago were the same way. And we can't discount the influence of racism in each of us.

11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is true, and I share that resentment. Otoh, there is good reason my current home was known as "Bombingham". We have a Civil Rights Museum and historical markers all over town, lest we forget.

When my family moved to Atlanta from Tampa in 1964, they bought a house in a new subdivision close to Greenbriar mall, the second mall built in town. We'd lived there a couple of years when the local real estate agents informally decided that SW Atlanta was going to be the Black side of town. They started "block busting", finding a white family who was willing to sell to a Black buyer (or to pretend they didn't know). Once there was one, For Sale signs went up across entire neighborhoods, and the race was on to sell "before property values dropped".

While I think that in a general sense race relations are a bit better here, where we live, work, and move among Black people basically every day, there are valid reasons that stereotype grew up.

Its just that it was every bit as bad (or worse) in places like Boston, Kansas City, San Francisco, etc which were not hung with the reputation for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted