1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I grew up in the Atlanta area and lived there for a couple years very recently, and I can tell you not to expect sunshine there in winter. The typical winter day there is 40-45 degrees and raining.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Nashville could pull off a Super Bowl. Other cities of similar size with less tourist infrastructure have. I think the reason Nashville has not hosted the Super Bowl is a combination of a smaller stadium and dicey weather. The Titans are at the end of their lease term and are trying to get a new, domed stadium built (think basically a clone of the Raiders stadium). The Titans produced a report that remodeling the old stadium would cost about as much as building a new one which local politicians believe. The problem is finalizing the financing.

But the NFL will use a Super Bowl as a carrot for Nashville to get a Super Bowl. If Nashville makes it onto the permanent rotation will probably depend on how the first Super Bowl goes.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Indianapolis had the 2011 season Super Bowl. It has a dome, a very centralized downtown, many hotels, and scads of experience handling big sports events of the college variety (Final Four, Big 10 football title game, etc.) plus the scouting combine. Yet it has never had another Bowl. Whether that's because the other owners can't stand Irsay or some other factor I do not know.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think it’s almost assured that Nashville gets into the rotation if there’s a dome.

Indianapolis’ marketing plan is almost cartoonishly effective: “It’s a circle, it has steak, no pesky lake to get in the way, a roof for the sidewalks and there are hotel rooms. Circle, steak, roof, rooms. Circle. Steak. Roof. Rooms. Give us your convention.”

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The rumor about the lack of Indy Super Bowls is that they are the home of the combine every year and since they get that on the regular that it has diminished them as a Super Bowl site. They got it when they did because they built the new building.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think the lack of Super Bowls in Indianapolis is because nobody wants to go to Indianapolis.

They prefer to put the games in destination warm-weather cities -- Tampa, L.A., Vegas, Phoenix.

Indianapolis is very good at hosting major events. It has everything they need -- hotels, restaurants, event spaces, and a strong central core. But no one wants to be in Indianapolis.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember that being the buzz during the Indy Super Bowl, but IIRC people were raving about how it turned out when it was all said and done.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can't go west, can't go east
    I'm stuck in Indianapolis with a fuel pump that's deceased
    Ten days on the road, now I'm four hours from my hometown
    Is this hell or Indianapolis with no way to get around?

9. PCLoadLetter

And I don't mean to sound like I'm just shitting on Indy. I used to go there every year for the US Grand Prix and always had a good time. People were nice, the infrastructure is terrific for a big event. They've got the whole convention/big sporting event thing down pat.

That's why the combine is there, and when given the opportunity to host a Super Bowl they'll do a terrific job.

But no one wants to go there.

10. PCLoadLetter

Saw the Bottle Rockets play that in a bar in Nashville a few years ago. Lord, that was a fun night.

Tighthead and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’ve seen the Bottle Rockets four or five times, a couple of those as headliners. They put on a good show. Saw them one night, then at the record store the next morning. They were hurting.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ve-immediate-answer-at-quarterback-this-year/

Imagine Josh McD and Ziegler telling Davis - "Yeah, we'll get you Brady. We're boys!" They cut Carr and get nothing for him. "Oh, we'll TANK this year and get Caleb Williams!" - seriously. They inherited a playoff team. Seriously, if I were Davis - I'd say tank if you want, but no playoffs next season, you're gone.

The funny thing is - I think Gruden would have done the same thing at this point if he were still around, if for no other reason than to give him a chance to work to the end of his contract. Carr was a top 10 QB - I understand coaches want "their guy" - but what are the odds you can come up with someone better than Carr? Garoppolo? Anyone see Rodgers and McDaniels being simpatico?

Draft saved Draft deleted