1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's been done before. My oldest brother could get full retirement at 65. I won't get it until 67.5.

Average life expectancy wasn't even 65 when SS began.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If we lower the legal working age so more children are available and raise the eligible retirement age so older folks won’t be able to be so lazy, there will be much more fodder to load into the cannons of our corporate overlords. Those will be the starting guns for the new supercharged economy.

HanSenSE, garrow, Woody Long and 4 others like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Haley's plan isn't terrible:
    Cut benefits for the wealthy. Good. They will manage.
    Move the goalposts for people in their 20s. That's fine. They are just starting to play the game.
    Move them for people like me who are literally inside the 10 (years), and there will be blood in the streets.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Jenna Ellis then doubled down by showing some Christian-level compassion toward Mitch McConnell shortly after his fall and subsequent hospitalization:

1) She's really vile.
    2) If you disagree, consider this: Mitch McConnell is wearing the white hat in this one. Still disagree?

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

McConnell's been wearing the white hat basically since the November midterms. He doesn't need a weatherman to tell him which way the wind's blowing.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree on the social security plan - it should kick in when you are no longer able to work - or maybe they allow seniors to downshift to part-time work before full benefits kick in.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The goal of life isn't to work until you are no longer able. At least it isn't for me. The reason to work hard now is to stop working as soon as possible to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
    If you are no longer able to work, that likely means you aren't able to travel and enjoy your favorite leisure activities.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure, but Social Security wasn't designed to allow people to spend 20 years travelling in an RV - it was designed to keep them out of poverty, allow them food and a place to live with dignity when they couldn't work any more.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tennessee Republicans into drag is the new Virginia Democrats into blackface.

10. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

"And remember I went up to your room afterwards and you were dressed in chick's clothes? Yeah, you had on this black bra with tassels! You were dancing in front of a mirror with this kinda zebra skin jockstrap. Remember how I screamed at you when you started coming on to me? And I just said 'Jesus, stop it Randy, I'm ashamed of you!' I wanted to tell you I forgot the whole thing. Years have passed, now I'm sexually liberated. I don't care who's a fag no more. I mean who cares? It's natural, it's all around us." - Reggie Dunlop

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's a lot wrong here, so I'll just unpack a few:

1. To take your point to its godawful extreme, since SS was only meant to keep people out of poverty, why not give it only to people who otherwise would be in poverty? Screw the guy who saved $750K into his 401(k). He's not going into poverty. He can do without SS.

B. Define "able" to work. Physically? Hell, with my immune system, I could probably do what I do into my 80s. But let's say you're a fit, healthy person in his 80s who's physically "able" to work . . . but can't find a job because who the fuck wants to hire an 85-year-old? Does he get SS? Or just unemployment scraps?

iii. When the hell is anybody supposed to enjoy life?

I CAN start taking early retirement in 16 days, which is a wonderful feeling of empowerment. I'll probably hang on a few more months . . . or until they take away the four-day week that has breathed a little life into my give a damn, which had busted.

micropolitan guy and Driftwood like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll support means testing Social Security the same day the Congress votes to means test congressional pensions.

Draft saved Draft deleted