1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You will probably see someone purchase SVB by the end of the weekend. But after the way banks that did that in 2008 were treated, it's not the foregone conclusion it should be.

2. The Big Ragu

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Banks below the Top 10 try just as hard!

But seriously, what happened to cause the feds to step in, in layman's terms.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It just means more to the SEC.gov.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My first thought was “Cramer probably wanted to draft Leaf over Manning.”

My second thought was “Holy shit, it’s been 25 years since that draft.”

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He was against it before he was for it.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I guess of course he did. And no one knew it except him and his advisors and the SEC,

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

This may be the most competent thing he did as CEO, to be honest. And that's not really an indictment of him, because this isn't happening because of HIS incompetence (he was fucked no matter what), it's a consequence of Ben Bernanke and Janet Yellen and Jay Powell's actions and the iron-clad power over the price of money we inexplicably give them in this country as price-fixing czars.

This bank seems fairly unique in that given the nature of its clients, it had a boatload of deposits and a small loan portfolio compared to the typical bank.

When I post about how the Fed has had a policy of robbing savers to reward debtors, what I usually have in mind is the risky behavior outside of the banking system that it has spurred and all of the malinvestment lurking beneath our economy as a result. That would be the types of companies this bank has as clients that only exist because of the free money and lending standards degradation the Fed has given us.

In the case of this bank, they actually weren't (couldn't legally because of banking regulations) taking risks to try to make up what they were being robbed of by the Fed, which is what put them in the situation of having huge unrealized losses. ... they took all of those deposits they were sitting on (all of those startups were flush with venture capital), and to put them to work, they only yield-bearing assets they could really buy. ... were the treasuries and mortgage-backed securities that the Fed was driving the price up of (in order to suppress interest rates, which has been their policy). By artificially sending the price of bonds to the stratosphere as a matter of "policy," the Fed created the situation where SVB is now caught holding the bag.

That is because now that rates have risen so much so quickly (even if they are still relatively low, the rate of increase has been violent), the value of those bonds has dropped in value substantially (they are slowly popping the bond bubble they have blown). ... which makes all of the banks holding unrealized losses susceptible to a run on their bank. This bank was particularly susceptible.

As CEO, he knew that. So I would not be surprised if he at least saw the risk of what was happening with rates rising and said, "Hey, I should sell some of my personal stock just in case!" It doesn't mean he was expecting it, it would have meant he knew that things were getting more precarious over time as the Fed kept hiking. Outside investors saw that risk too, FWIW; the bank's financial position was deteriorating for a long time and the stock price had been dropping like a rock as rates were rising.

I actually feel bad for the guy. ... given the nature of the bank and the types of depositors and loans it specialized in, it was particularly susceptible to this happening. But there are A LOT of banks out there (just about every bank) that are sitting on huge unrealized losses right now if they were forced to mark to market. This is thanks to the Fed. The default strategy for those banks is hope and prayer, and if that fails, they know there will be the usual calls for bailouts (who could have seen this coming? We need to socialize the cost!). This guy actually saw the precarious position his bank was in and (stupidly as it paradoxically turns out) actually tried to be proactive and address the hole in his bank's balance sheet by raising capital. ... rather than sticking his head in the sand. It was the fact that people knew he went out to raise that capital that precipitated the run on his bank. There are definitely other banks out there that SHOULD be desperately trying to raise capital, but aren't, for this reason.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted