1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

TIL that I play in a basketball league about a mile from Sean's house, maybe.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This confirms a theory of mine from a generation ago that Sean Salisbury could turn out to be the world’s greatest humanitarian and I would still find him loathsome.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Does anyone still think Jackson is being smart about this ... no? Carry on.

4. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Jackson probably does. I don't think he posts here, though.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Serious questions: Does Jackson have enough money to sit out a season? Would he sit out if he doesn’t get a deal closer to his liking?

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

You can't fix stupid.
    'Hit me in the head with a hammer before you give me a dumb guy to work with'
    -J. Johnson

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My guess? Yes and yes.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Jackson's gonna play somewhere at some point, but there won't be many teams willing to overhaul the whole offense to suit his skills.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No one is going to pay him 4-5 years, $45mm per all guaranteed. And the Ravens have no incentive to trade him for less that the 2 first rounders.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've heard he's pretty frugal with his money. Lives in a nice, but relatively modest by NFL QB standards, house. So he's probably got enough for a while.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised nobody has been able to convey to Jackson that the no guarantee isn't about "him" - or what the Ravens think about his abilities, but about the potential impact on the salary cap. The NFLPA should really be bargaining to exempt deferred compensation from the cap - so you could sign a guy and "guarantee" the money - but he won't get most of it for 10 years. The owners won't go for it, of course, because the cap works great to keep salaries in check. The players are fighting each other for the same pool of money.

Anyone think owners have a hard time making ends meet paying the front office and coaches with their $200m plus a year? If anything, they do an even better job suppressing salaries with the people outside of the locker room.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted