1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And the Dems won the Senate too. I do like the idea that we have a "three-month rule" after nomination for federal gigs. You have three-months to be voted down or they are in. I hate the game-playing, hate the drama that the Dems brought to the Kavanaugh hearings - even hated the drama of the Thomas hearings. Vote 'em up, or vote 'em down. You want to bring stuff in that has nothing to do with their legal career? Fine, just don't wait until the hearings are over.

2. DanOregon

Almost forgot - the thought came to me - what is happening in Tennessee and elsewhere is proof that there is no "shadow GOP" that still has functional control of the party. Back in the day, when states started getting too far out there, someone like Mitch or Paul Ryan would have said - "Hey, slow your roll - its a bad look for our party nationally and could cost us seats - and if you don't we'll make sure you'll won't be the party's choice in a primary for a Congressional or Senate seat and our big institutional donors will be off-limits. But Trump's wiped that away too.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The GOP has a southern and intermountain firewall that guarantees that these whackobirds will keep getting nominated and winning elections. The only thing to do is to eradicate the party elsewhere so they can't have a majority.

garrow likes this.
  4. DanOregon

I've heard Texas is "turning blue" any moment for about 30 years. But I still don't see it. That would be a big domino to drop though.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2012 -- 57.17 to 41.38 (4,569,843 t0 3,308,124)
    2020 -- 52.06 to 46.48 (5,890,347 to 5,259,126)

That's not nothing

dixiehack and garrow like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can’t remember Marshall’s exact health problems, but I don’t believe they approached RBG’s, and she served until her death. No reason he couldn’t have done the same. Maybe he didn’t want to.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Was it offered in Congress when Republicans had control of both houses? Why not?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts

• Offering such a “grand” bargain now would indicate Democrats feel they can trust Republicans to live up to their word, both in Washington and out in the various states. What have Republicans done lately to indicate such trust is warranted?
    • Why should we contemplate European-style caps on abortion timing when women in America do not have European-style healthcare to have reliable access to medical attention early in a pregnancy regardless of economic status?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If anything, it emboldened them to continue doing "God's work." Trump was just a tool for them.

10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted