1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best headline ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 6, 2022.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I remain partial to one I once saw in the now-deceased Fort Worth Evening Star-Telegram: "Mummified man found in house."

Liut likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Isn’t this like 10 years old?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Tony Peters was a defensive back for the Browns and the Redskins from 1975 to 1985.

One year the good ol' boys at my local paper
    ran this headline over that day's NFL roundup:

Washington Must Play with Peters Out

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There was some headline involving Houston Nutt and quarterback Casey Dick at Arkansas at some point over a decade ago that caused some mirth.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I just gave myself a funny. Got a presser about local students attending a symposium at a local hospital. My dream hammer hed:

Playing Doctor

Liut, garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Minnesota defeated the Lakers in an exhibition game in the British capital once.

"Howuuul! T'wolves win in London "

Liut and garrow like this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

"Casillas Plugs Lett's Hole" made it into an Arkansas sports section back in the day. Same paper at about the same time had this lead headline for a hurricane story: "Fran's Furry Felt."

Liut likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hope you let it go in one ear, out the other. My "lecture" came after a feature about all the banging and beating at Martinsville that got a headline of "Virginia is for rubbers."

That lasted for about 30 minutes on the NASCAR website -- long enough for all of us to get a screenshot -- until PR in Daytona Beach had a hissyfit and had the ME replace it.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Still can't beat the best Minnesota headline ever: "Fertile woman dies in Climax." Fertile and Climax are small towns in the Red River Valley, near Fargo/Moorhead.

I Should Coco, Slacker, Liut and 3 others like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Got this one on a Mississippi woman accused of making bestiality videos with her dogs:

SICK PUPPY

Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Love the lone readers comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted