1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THIS IS CNN: Don Lemon goes berserker on Kaitlan Collins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Feb 5, 2023.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

She might one of those who's better in the field vs. the desk.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

NBC has two women hosting Today
    I don’t see why CNN just can’t keep Poppy and Kaitlin
    I’m reserving judgement on Kaitlin, who might be a lot better without Lemon around

Liut likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Things happen in 3's ...

... Jason Whitlock to the white courtesy phone?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Does he have a job to be fired from?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Learn to code.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He even tweets in Teleprompter.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Don Lemon. Always the victim.

Even if CNN didn’t tell him in-person, Lemon is combative and goes running to social media on every injustice. There was no “win” for CNN here.

When I left my last station, I gave notice and they fired me the next day. 16 years. Four promotions. Huge social following.

I just… disappeared.

Then a week later, the station puts out a three-sentence post that I left the station.

Technically, that’s true but they fired me. I was giving them a month notice.

By doing this, I couldn’t answer back and say, “no, I didn’t harass anyone or behave badly. I got a 55k raise!” But I couldn’t because I didn’t want to make waves.

I didn’t like the online speculation that I had been let go with no mention of getting a much bigger job in a much larger market..

For Lemon, to say he’s stunned is hilarious. He knows what thin ice is. He’s lived it for some time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is also part of the demographic split in the business. Not many men left on-air in TV news at the local level and that is impacting the national talent pool.

CBS had the unremarkable Jeff Glor as the evening news anchor for a couple years. He’s no different than any Top 30 market evening anchor.

Lots of female-female anchor teams across the country and not just the “early prime” newscasts. Not many guys who look and sound assertive/masculine left in TV news while also coming off as empathetic and relatable to women.

Another case of what people say vs. what people want. Viewers may say they’d like to see female empowerment on the air but more than a few female viewers have told me, “I like watching a good-looking man doing the news”.

What news managers and station owners never say… they can also pay female anchors less. These anchors often “marry up”, financially, so they don’t negotiate or don’t even need the job.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That's a good one. Seems appropriate, too. He's mostly struck me as a "reader." Bigger the better for that.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What was the timing on this? Before or after Tucker Carlson?

Draft saved Draft deleted