1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Succession Season 4 — Spoilers Included

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Mar 26, 2023.

Tags:
  1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The kids are all people who were born on third base and believed they hit a triple. The remaining question is what happens when they try to get home on their own.

I believe the remaining episodes will be about dismantling their illusions of competence. They will of course have soft landings financially, but they will be hit in the face with a new understanding of their limitations.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Carl's line to Tom was pretty incredible. As was Geri -- you're spewing your melancholy everywhere. Great time looking at the china.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The great part of the show is how transactional the relationships are and how quick everyone is to always turn on each other. Like Tom and Syd in episode 2, ripping the other in front of Logan. Or Geri telling Karl that he was “a legend in the 90s”. Logan kept all of them off balance constantly and they are always figuring out their leverage. Like Marcia seeing her opportunity as soon as Logan died. Or Tom realizing he’s screwed.

Add to this fact that these 3 kids have done nothing to earn their place, other than to have Logan as their birth father.

garrow likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tried to get through the ep last night but was so damn tired from working all weekend that I couldn't do it. Getting old sucks.

Anyway, just finished it. Really strong ep. A couple of thoughts: If Shiv is actually pregnant, drinking and doing blow is curious prenatal care. The Kendall-Matsson scene on the mountain was incredible. Tom being kept around is interesting, as was Greg trying to finally make a power play against Tom. Carl being on the kill list and being happy is something. Should be a strong end to the season, this was a great start.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wasn’t watching super closely, but I don’t think Shiv actually snorted the cocaine. She took the vial from Mattson. I don’t remember her using the drug.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

She was definitely drinking, though. And that little scene with her and Tom ... wow.

7. clintrichardson

The season so far has been great. I looked up the Norwegian hotel where the episode takes place and they already have a quote on their website from Jesse Armstrong.

Nice detail: Mattson's kill list axed all the dudes but spared Gerri and Karolina. Those two were both spoken well of by Shiv in the episode, but also both women. Will look forward to seeing how that pays off.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Succession is a bit of an odd watch for my wife and me. A while ago, someone recommended it, so we tried the first three or so episodes. I found myself feeling the world would have been a better place if the Roy helicopters crashed into each other on the way to the family baseball game. Hopefully the pilots and other employees would somehow crawl from the wreckage. We moved on to other shows.

As fate would have it, our daughter was on the film crew for the fourth season. Now it’s scheduled viewing on Sunday nights. I still can’t say I like any of the main characters and we don’t have any real urge to go back and catch up on all the strange and mean plot turns. But watching brings a little connection to our daughter and she sometimes tells us, after an episode airs, something she found interesting or challenging about it.

She’s in New York and didn’t go to Norway or other locations because local crews are hired.

Webster likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think we were all waiting for the next Kendall crash/cringe performance at the launch. But he pulled it off, even though it’s with cooked numbers.

And Fox Angertainment Retirement Homes is foreseeable and terrifying. But I guess sort of just The Villages?

I don’t even know what to say about the Shiv-Tom dysfunction.

garrow likes this.
  10. clintrichardson

The oddest detail of the last episode is that when Greg got all over the sound editor and made what sounded like irrational and bullying demands for the corporate presentation, Greg turned out the be right.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

garrow and Webster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted