1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

National Public Radio is not a perfect example of anything, either in comparison or contrast. It's unique and is mostly a radio network.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rittenhouse had his mom drive to Wisconsin with an automatic rifle - this guy was riding a subway car minding his own business. It's tragic and sad what happened - but people should have a right to feel safe on a subway car. Granted, it will be interesting to hear what the other witnesses have to say, but I do think the circumstances favor Penny. If it was a Nazi talking shit to a POC with the same result would there be charges?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He doesn't appear to be anything like Kyle Rittenhouse. Kyle Rittenhouse armed himself with an assault style rifle and drove out of his way to go to some protests, and he shot 3 people, killing 2. He was out looking for trouble.

By all accounts, Penny was just riding the subway. ... Neely came into a car, was acting erratic and threatening people, and that is what precipitated the chokehold. From what we know, is it your best guess that Penny was riding around on the subway looking for people to put chokeholds on?

Why do you think the manslaughter charge is messed up? Is it that you think he should have been charged with murder or that he shouldn't have been charged at all?

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Loud crazy guy in your subway car?

Get up and move.

The imaginative energy being expended to make Penny a hero is heartbreaking.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  6. DanOregon

I don't think he should have been charged. Cops shooting people almost always are deemed "justified" - even with all of their training and preparation - if they say they feared for their safety or the safety of others - why should the standard be higher for someone like Penny?

And if it was on an open street? I'd agree with you Azrael, but a subway car is pretty enclosed - not sure how crowded it was.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because cops, rightly or wrongly, are given the benefit of the doubt because it's their job to confront situations like this. To function, society can't allow unchecked disproportionate vigilantism by any and/or all citizens. That way you wind up with morons shooting kids playing hide and seek because they "saw shadows." I will also point out that you cite as fact the victim threatening people, which is in dispute and contradicted by some witnesses. Penny will have a trial and present his defense. But he has to be charged as a matter of civil order.

dixiehack and Azrael like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The "he should have just moved" bit is as head-scratching to me as "raving loons have been a subway fixture for decades."

9. DanOregon

True - this will come down to whather the jury feels it was vigilantism or self-defense, and the difference between being threatened, or feeling threatened.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, actually it’s really simple.

Get up and move your ass to another car.

It’s just that simple.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just seems, to me, an awfully glib way of shrugging one's shoulders: "What kind of rube are you?"

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted