1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wanted to comment on two things here.

1. I’m in my mid-40s. When the Trump tax cuts passed in 2017, I did decently — got an extra $50 a week. Guess what? I was doing OK without that $50. I’d happily give it up if it meant better funding for education and transportation, or if it meant we could avoid four more years of batshittery.

2. Buying a house should NOT be easy. You should not have no money down and be able to get a place. I’m not referring to the first-time buyer programs that are out there, more about people who were over leveraged and had no reason buying an $800k house with $8k in savings.

I suppose I’m a hypocrite here; we only put 5-6% down and have an interest rate lower than 3%. But we had both saved for a long time, long before we met, because we wanted the security of home ownership. We lucked into a relative bargain, but we also could’ve handled 6% interest rates if it was what the situation was. It sounded to me like the mortgage companies were playing a little fast and loose again in 2019-20, like they had before the recession.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When do all those GQP participation trophy fukcheads finally get the gaspipe?

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Buying a house should not be easy, I agree.
    But paying rent shouldn't be nearly double what my house payment would be, even with zero percent down.
    A $125K loan (decent condo) at 7 percent results in a payment of $857. Rent in the city of Little Rock for a 2BR in decent complex (carports, not garages) is running $1,400 or higher.
    So the financial system trusts me to pay more than $1,400 per month, but not to pay $857... a little backwards if you ask me.
    Yes, I know I over-simplified it, but the larger point remains.

maumann, dixiehack and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

But, the media.

garrow likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That photo does her a lot of justice.

That said, she ran a brilliant campaign. Spent a fourth of what the GOP candidate spent (an empty suit who ran the Chamber of Commerce, is a former city council member and who panicked in the closing weeks, going from a moderate to near hardcore MAGA, playing footsie with Moms for Liberty clowns, claiming Deegan would defund the police and doing a forum with Brendon Leslie, a loony blogger who was at the Capital on 1-6 but somehow has avoided arrest). He went negative, she never did. She's a third-generation Jacksonville native, former news anchor, three-time cancer survivor and has raised millions for Mayo Clinic cancer research.

garrow, Matt1735 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for NASA to get fed up with Texas and Florida and move the Johnson Space Center from Houston to New Mexico or something, and build a launch facility in California. Watch what happens to the MAGA-Loony governors when those jobs dry up.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

alma is only in favor of civil liberties when they’re directed toward certain classes.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If true, he's perfectly in alignment with the ACLU.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Amy, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted