1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Pizza Hut was the fucking best. Giant pitchers of soda poured into those red glasses where everything tasted 150% better. Savoring every bite of pizza b/c you only went there a handful of times a year. And then, as teenagers, wrecking the shit out of that all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. I can't tell you how many times I rolled out of bed at noon, went straight to Pizza Hut and cleansed my system. Goddamn. Good times.

wicked, Slacker, TigerVols and 9 others like this.
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

My ex complained that she couldn’t drive my manual cars. I said I was happy to teach her, and that at a certain point it was her choice not to learn.

Before anyone applies this to their own situation, focus on the word ex.

misterbc and Batman like this.
  3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It really was the best. Our local PH crew was super. I miss them. Loved the salad bar, too.

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

A pizza brought to your table on one of those raised metal pans is 50 per cent better than takeout or delivery.

misterbc, MTM, Twirling Time and 2 others like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

A few years ago, we were on vacation in rural-ish upstate New York and found a Pizza Hut with a lunch buffet. The presence of the salad bar convinced my wife to eat there. It was glorious.

2muchcoffeeman, SixToe and Tighthead like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If that situation ever changes here, I'll teach her and I'll try to be patient (that might be my undoing ... clutches and flywheels aren't cheap, though my current machine has one of the sturdiest I've ever had ... problem is it's also not a beginner's vehicle). If she refuses, OK ... but don't even THINK about complaining that I have a six-speed in the garage.

That was my situation as a 15-year-old ... three vehicles, two of them with manuals. Unless I wanted to drive the minivan – and they didn't want me to, anyway – better learn, kid. Read all three vehicle manuals ... three different manufacturers, three different vehicle classifications. Be able to demonstrate how to change a tire. Know that there were things you could do with maneuverability with a 280Z that could and should not be done with a Chevy Astro. Know that the truck was underpowered and adjust accordingly. Pass the driver's test with DMV.

If I can learn it, so can you.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I must be missing something on the Pizza Hut love. They were great when I was a kid and when that was all there was in a lot of places. But a few years ago I went out of town and tried a Hut down the street from the hotel, and it was dogcrap. Guess I got spoiled by the family pizza joints.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Oh, as a semi-mature adult, I'm not gonna argue (too much, anyway) that it's GOOD, per se. Once I left Podunk, I was exposed to lots and lots of pizza joints that offered far better actual pizza. But I still occasionally enjoy the nostalgia of a pan pizza from Pizza Hut. Or at least I did until that one time I ate a whole pie before bed on vacation because I didn't want to waste it. That ended up being a LONG night.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shakey's was > Pizza Hut

Twirling Time likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“No, officer, I don’t know how fast I was going because…I DIDN’T WANT TO RUN OFF THE GODDAMN ROAD BECAUSE THE SPEEDOMETER IS WHERE THE GODDAMN HULA DANCING LADY SHOULD BE!”

dixiehack, Driftwood and Batman like this.
  12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

....and any regular visitor to Mother's Pizza (RIP) in the Toronto area in the 70s and 80s would agree.

Tighthead likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted