1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anchor Brewing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HanSenSE, Jul 12, 2023.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Dark, dark day, I loved me some Anchor Steam. We're heading to California next week and I was looking forward to having a couple.

garrow, swingline and MileHigh like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Real Rainier, RIP. Olympia, RIP. Blitz/Henry's, RIP. Anchor Steam, RIP. Someone is killing the great beers of the West Coast.

maumann likes this.
  4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Lots of factors killing breweries. The list is long.
    In the end, it's business and a successful business is hard to maintain.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I mean, good god, what were they thinking?

upload_2023-7-12_14-15-44.png

RIP Anchor Steam.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    Dog8Cats, TigerVols, Huggy and 2 others like this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Right there with you. Love Anchor Steam.

swingline likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First micro I ever had. A lot of great legendary beers have left the building in recent years. Bridgeport in Portland was one of the first micros. Gone. Widmer seems to be a shell of itself. One of the reasons I have had no issues with companies that cash out/ take on a corporate partner - helps ensure they get shelf space and capital to try new things, expand etc. Shoot, they cancelled the Oregon Brewers Festival this year - it might never come back. Too expensive for the breweries, attendance down due to weather, COVID etc.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I dunno. Oly is the only one your list I ever tried and it was terrible. That was more than 30 years ago.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I had a restaurant owner friend stock it just for me.

Loved the Bridgeport at the Pearl District brewpub. The full flight was interesting.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm an old fart, prefer Coors Banquet above all, don't drink the micros, too hoppy, fruity, heavy, whatever for my taste.

All of the above beers tasted great when they were ice-cold. But, like I said, I grew up drinking Stroh's, Utica Club, Genessee, National Boh, Miller High Life, etc.

Just kind of sad that another thing instantly identifiable as San Franciscan has bit the dust. Like Rainier and Seattle, Olympia and the PNW, Blitz/Henry's with Portland. Hell I don't think PBR is brewed in Milwaukee anymore.

Liut likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Aww no way! Love Anchor. It’s an easy beer to drink. Damn. I’m going to slow sip the Anchors in my fridge.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The big macros snapping up micros/crafts ended up being a real shot in the arm to the smaller brands because it gave them a wider distribution network and better marketing, and the big companies rightfully nurtured them as profit centers, rather than snuff them out as some feared initially.

The big problem was Anchor was snapped up by a Japanese company, Sapporo, which doesn't have the distribution network that an established U.S. MMS company has. I haven't seen Anchor sold in my neck of the woods in at least 10 years.

I've kind of lost my mojo on craft beers because 90% of them today are some form of IPA. A sixer of those will make me hurl.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted