1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There’s a tropical wave about halfway between the Lesser Antilles and the Cape Verdes that bears watching.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At this point, I welcome the breeze and the rain.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Info on this invest is depressingly sparse. Moving at 25 mph but no direction given.

Weathermen are typically characters but do they hold SAG cards?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If you didn't watch that Beau clip, he was talking about the temperature of the pavement in Arizona. When it's 100 degrees, the pavement/asphalt/concrete is around 140. That's second degree burn territory. At 12o degrees, you're looking at 160 degree pavement and potential third degree burns. People have gone out in flip flops and had them melt to the asphalt - and then had to leave them and run for it barefoot. If you fall down you risk burns to your flesh that touches and your hands as you push off to get back up. Burns from seat belt metal and such.

People walking dogs have to put bootees on them or risk burning the pads of their feet to raw meat.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I lived in the Dallas area in the summer of 2000, a year in which North Texas saw a record number of consecutive 100-degree days that stretched into September. My then-wife was pregnant with our third child, and she was, in a word, miserable.

On Labor Day, we had the thermostat set at 59 to keep the house in the mid-80s as it was 105 or so all day outside. I knew I had to get her out of there. But where would we go? The mall was too much walking, and a movie was out because we had a 16-month-old baby.

Suddenly, a light bulb lit above my head. “Get in the car, everybody, we’re going to Bass Pro.” Plenty of benches for sitting, put the baby in the stroller, and let the 6-year-old climb all over boats.

When we got there, we found a Bass Tracker on display, and there was one seat on a bench that was empty — three other very pregnant women were sitting on the other benches, complaining about the heat in their houses and how they were finally in a place that was comfortable. So apparently I wasn’t the only one who had that idea.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Still 90 here tonight.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I remember Labor Day 2000 in DFW well. It got to 111º that day, just two degrees off the all-time record. Some friends and I walked out of a pizza joint and it was like hitting a brick wall. What made that summer special was more the consecutive dry days; the late-summer record heat was the cherry on top.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can vouch for all of that.

The county morgue just brought in a series of refrigerated trailers in its parking garage to make room for all the heat-related deaths.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The only graphics available on it now has it turning hard north in the next day or two and heading right up the middle of the Atlantic.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

1. Central Tropical Atlantic (AL96):
    A tropical wave located about midway between the Cabo Verde Islands and the Lesser Antilles continues to produce disorganized cloudiness and showers. Environmental conditions are expected to be favorable for gradual development of this system during the next few days, and a tropical depression is likely to form early next week while the disturbance moves west-northwestward to northwestward at about 15 mph.
    * Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
    * Formation chance through 7 days...high...70 percent.​

Atlantic 2-Day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Storms and rain overnight sucked out all the heat. It’s raining now.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted