1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 0 thread: Son of a son of a sailor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The way it is supposed to work is you need an exemption to play prior to the official starting weekend. The two most common routes to exemption are an international game or playing Hawaii at some point during the season (so you have room for the extra game you are allowed to schedule.) This year and last, there have also been exemptions given to Conference USA, given the need for last minute scheduling due to membership changes.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon State played with 3/4 of a stadium last year, capacity 27K, while the old west side was being rebuilt. It will now have one of the best stadiums in the Pac-12, just in time for the final season.

San Jose State played 3-4 years with half the stadium demolished.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How sad is this?
    Our company has suite tickets to Alabama football and my boss asked if I wanted them for the LSU game in November. But since we live a few hours away, the game time won't be set until October, I have to cover high school football the night before and won't get home until 2:30 a.m., and a couple of other logistical issues I suddenly turned into Lou Brown when presented with what should be a golden gift of a lifetime.

5. dixiehack

CBS does have a SEC doubleheader with a prime time spot that week. The closest competition for the night game:
    • Mizzou at Georgia
    • Texas A&M at Ole Miss
    • Arkansas at Florida
    I can’t guarantee it’s a night game but that’s the way I’d bet.

Neutral Corner and Batman like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd bet money on either the 2:30 slot or a night game. It won't be 11 a.m. or 3 p.m. on SEC Network.
    My biggest hang up is the turnaround. I'm probably getting home from work between 2 and 3 a.m. If it's a 2:30 game, that means having to be up and out the door by probably 8. That's pretty rough.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When are you ever going to get another opportunity like this? This ain't intramurals, brother. Time to sack up. It means more.

8. dixiehack

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

10. dixiehack

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s very exciting when you’re a MAC team fan and you reach “Maybe Watch” status when it’s not a Wednesday in November.

Like the Bluths celebrating the company going from Sell to Don’t Buy status from Jim Cramer.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Kill that with fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted