1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-heroes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Aug 26, 2023.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m usually the same way. I used to love a bunch of Kid Rock songs (Wastin’ Time is a great tune), but every time I hear one now, all I can think is what a giant, phony dicksicle he is.

X-Hack and FileNotFound like this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Boomer-powered right wing screech machine internet and major media (Rupert Murdoch empire) conspiracy against Springsteen specifically pisses my ass off, especially when they go on, "I used to love him when he just stuck to music, but then he lost me."

Like oh yeah, when was that, when he "just stuck to music"?? There were (liberal) populist themes in Born To Run (1974), more in Darkness (1978), then he played the No Nukes show in 1979. If you didn't know Bruce Springsteen has been solidly liberal for 45 years you haven't been paying any fucking attention.

UNCGrad, qtlaw, wicked and 1 other person like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Is Born in the USA the most misappropriated song in history?

Figure it’s a two-song race between that and Fortunate Son.

HanSenSE, UNCGrad, dixiehack and 4 others like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I used to love and crank the heck out of Bawitdaba and American Badass. I haven't listened to either in years, not because Bob Ritchie is a phony dicksicle, but because I grew out of it I guess.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

BITUSA has to take the cake, particularly because Bruce publicly called out Reagan pretty much instantly when he tried to hijack it, weeks after release in 1984.

It was national news for a couple of weeks, so any Boomer aged MAGGATS who claim it's a sudden shock and disappointment to them that Springsteen leans liberal had to be in a fucking coma.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What is the definition of anti-hero before I answer?

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Tommy Lasorda.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Snake Plissken

Huggy and Liut like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fletch hated Tommy Lasorda.

[​IMG]

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Also, if I find myself walking down Broadway in Nashville, am I not going into Kid Rock's or Jason Aldean's because I don't want to give the douchers my money, because I don't want to be in that crowd with music turned up past 11, or because I don't want to pay $10 for a bottle of Miller Lite? All of the above. It has nothing to do with their songs. The same could be said for any number of other establishments on the street with artists' names on them. I would go into Miranda Lambert's joint if she was there and personally offered me a handjob. I don't know and wouldn't care what her politics are.
    On the flip side, I will go into Margaritaville because I like Buffett and his music. The fact that I agree with his views on politics and the environment has nothing to do with it. I try to avoid eating there, though, because it's overpriced not great quality by the time they get it out to you. Other locations aren't as bad

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Just a handjob? Aim higher.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It’s always bugged me how the radio stations in my area reacted when he died. They had taken his songs off the air when the child molestation charges began, then put the songs back on when he died.

It’s as if they were saying, “Eh, he’s a pedophile, but now he’s dead so it’s safe to put his songs back on the air now.”

Liut, spikechiquet and I Should Coco like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted