1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The dirty secret of your underlying point is that, once you're that many years in, the role takes on the perception of being a SCOTUS appointment. It often borders on sacrilegious, letting that person go, regardless of the status of their fastball. So you look for virtues more often, because they're entrenched anyway.

And on some level, I get it? Like, you in part pay the beat writer to have the sources when it really matters - which, there are fewer circumstances for that, especially in hiring/contract jobs - and the skills to ask the hard/right questions when the fanbois recede for fear of Upsetting The Powers That Be. I accept that you may not find this 25th slot receiver recruit as fascinating as our fan base does, but when the shit hits the fan, they'll look to you.

I'm not saying the crusty ones do a good job of being there when it counts. It's just, in theory, part of what you're paying for - a skillset on retainer, if you will. If someone's 25 years in, it's unreasonable to think they'll have a just-out-of-college zeal for every nook and cranny of the beat.

One thing that's been lost in beat writing - in part because of the fanbois - is the discernment to know when something's the real thing or just a byproduct of a universe where the 23-year-old who has no wife/kids/mortgage just sits on social media all day and turns everything into a story.

Batman likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Telling the truth can occasionally take a lot of time, though. And the real enemy to good journalism is often not the weak hearts of the journalists but their willingness to write up every damn thing that crops up on a beat for the sake of "traffic."

Batman likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When they installed newsroom monitors that showed the number of web hits for each online story, the landscape shifted noticeably.

Fdufta, Liut, I Should Coco and 5 others like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wow. Orwellian but probably inevitable.

Liut likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Her homerism was a little more palatable to me before I learned she hosts Sanders’ coaches show.
    There has to be a line somewhere.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not anymore.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Honestly, I hadn't thought about them for a long time. But yes, that marked the advent of the race for the almighty click -- at least where I was.

Liut and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

First paid job I had in the business was in a sports department. Big Ten town. We had the coach's show on Sunday mornings. My task was to find the video (b-roll) to run with the fluff stories on a certain player or to keep the video handy in case the coach was going off-script and we just needed to cover it with something. Also had to run the teleprompter for the host (the sports director at the time).

The program had some low-level scandals three years later and I'm working in a neighboring (but smaller) market and, on the Monday pressers, asking questions about it to the coach. He's grumpy about it but gets through the question. No one else -- not the two larger markets toughed on it but a couple print guys did.

It's six years later (9 years after I was working at that first job) and I'm a finalist for the sports director (M-F sports anchor) job at that first station. A dream job for me, at the time. Time to "go home".

"We really want to hire you but the football program won't go for it for the coach's show and we really need the person we hire to also do the coach's show."

So I left sports and moved to news anchoring.

maumann and Liut like this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A variation of this -- a monitor that tracked engagement on social media posts -- is precisely what led to the radicalization of Kari Lake.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah ... no. Stick to the arts.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll never forget seeing that for the first time while on a tour of a Gannett shop. The homepage production area looked like Mission Control with the stacks of monitors and the data. Fast-forward to today and I'm in a job where I also watch web hit data all day, but I don't manipulate stories like it was explained to me there. Eh, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Fdufta and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted