1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring standards for stringers for high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 10, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

"If I could click "like" on this four billion times, I would," exclaimed BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Liut, 2muchcoffeeman and ChrisLong like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't remember where I was where an editor insisted on said in straight news and says I features. I used said in both and let them fix it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    Liut, SixToe and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Those words are taboo!!! Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, can be either defeated or beat anymore.
    In my market, if a team loses it doesn't lose, it falls or fell. It falls or fell every fricking time. Clumsy teams abound in Liut's neighborhood.
    Been absent during the holiday weekend, but to return and catch up on this thread made my morning.
    "+1 to all of you," Liut said.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

"Glad to have helped," smiled BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What’s the feeling on *chortled?*

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Back when I had interns, game nights for them meant they had 30 minutes to get me a 150 word breaking, 60 minutes for the 450 worder and the next day for the optional. When they asked why, I said so as you as soon as you get out of here, you can show that you can write on deadline ...and be ready for the real world deadlines...

Dog8Cats, PaperDoll and HanSenSE like this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

"Fucking terrible," lamented BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

We had a part-timer--nicest kid in the world, absolutely couldn't write a sentence to save his life and in the immortal words of one of the old-timers at the shop, "Must have been dropped on his head as a kid. A lot," and went on to become a banker, which left me questioning our country's entire financial system--who opened one gamer with, "The Fancytown and Redneck Village baseball teams played with each other for three hours Thursday night."

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LMAO!

I inherited a full-timer at one shop who liked to use *snickered*
    Tried to be subtle at first but when that didn't work, lost it and asked, "Was he eating a f****** candy bar?"

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I had a stringer at a high school softball game who wrote that a player "banged a two-bagger" in her first at-bat and "turned the trick again" an inning later.
    I'm told I set the office record for f bombs that night

11. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

That would do it. Think I can give you 150 in five minutes starting from scratch, but I’ve been at it a couple of moons.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One of my editors told me once, when he was a sports editor in the upper Midwest, said he told writers on games that went long, told them "I need 10 in 10 " meaning 10 grafs in 10 minutes.

At the place I string occasionally now, I know one of the stringers is in trouble when I see the lead "A large crowd showed up at Springfield High when the Isotopes hostec Podunk West for the tournament title Wednesday. "

Typist Clerk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted