1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The NYT story says "It's also unclear which hospital" Retton was discharged from. And also said family had not responded to requests for comment.

2. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's a start.
    Keep it up.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Go to 0:30

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

You cynics probably didn’t believe Manti Teo’s fiancée died in a fiery wreck.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

America's Sweetheart becoming a grifter would be so on brand for this country in 2023. Not saying she is, but damn would the shoe fit for where our society is.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who would've thought some two-bit developer with gaudy tastes who greased some palms to get a couple tall buildings put up in Manhattan would become president? The 1980s are coming home to roost. I'd love to see an updated version of "That '80s Show."

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And don't forget America's TV dad: Bill Cosby.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you think this is all made up … fine.

Prove it.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

FWIW, the hospital was not disclosed when Bronny James collapsed and was admitted. But it was --- with physician's statement --- upon his release.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's made up or not. It would be altogether fitting if "America's Sweetheart" were ripping off the people for a phony medical bill. No one would ever say, "No, that could never happen in our country."

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody (or hardly anybody) is suggesting that it's ALL made up, that Mary Lou Retton is sitting in the Cayman Islands drinking daiquiris and cackling over her newfound GoFundMe windfall. I think most accept the premise she's undergoing a major health crisis.

However, after the first frantic appeal for funds, her daughters have been more than a little vague about details (like any). And what statements they have made have been curious. They could defuse most of this criticism by having some kind of professional make their official media statements.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
    BurnsWhenIPee and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted