1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has any newsperson asked how the GOP House members are veryfying their vote totals for Speaker, ensuring no funny business is going on? I'd really like to understand how they can be so certain they aren't getting funky totals.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

they felt free to read the article

3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

1+1+1

garrow likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s better if you post the même.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I don't know Jenna Ellis. Never was my lawyer, okay? Maybe I went to her island. Very small. Very crowded.

Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The assignment began before Trump took over.

The article's really worth a read. Especially the part that begins with Barbara Jordan and concludes with this:

In the 2000s, the Democratic Party has moved even closer to a universalist position. Democrats now speak more positively about immigration than any party has in the country’s history, according to an analysis of the Congressional Record. Many liberals have grown uncomfortable talking about restrictions and criticize both Clinton and Barack Obama for their positions. Obama combined full-throated support for immigrants, including legalization for many who were undocumented, with support for border security. When “an employer undercuts American wages by hiring illegal workers,” Obama said, it violates America’s promise.

Top Democrats would not make such an argument today. They are also unlikely to revere assimilation, as Jordan did. To universalists, glorifying American culture is jingoistic.

This is good too:

If you think about immigration as a social issue—a question of human rights—you might say that Democrats have moved to the left by favoring more immigration. If you think about it as a domestic economic issue—one that affects the power dynamic between American employers and workers—you would instead say that a policy of more immigration is a right-wing position. After all, the conservative intellectual giant Milton Friedman also favored high levels of immigration. Either way, the Democratic Party’s shift on immigration policy is consistent with Brahminism, in which the party has become more progressive on social issues than economic ones.

The larger story here is how the progressive left feels about, I dunno, living in the United States, and how Trump - who is an awful person - reinforced their loathing of the country that progressive left thinks we've been - and is becoming.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    /live look @ jenna ellis

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You are looking LIIIIIVE! at Donald Trump’s kitchen:

[​IMG]

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jenna Ellis set up a GoFundMe me for her legal defense then pled guilty.

That's like setting up a GoFundMe for new tires on your car, then selling the car.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how amused I am by "somewhat famous privileged white people" when shit gets real. Courage flies out the window when you realize you're about to get seriously f----ed. Still pissed they aren't enjoying the pleasure of Fulton County providing them with room service, but having to meet with a real-life Georgia Department of Corrections probation officer for basically the rest of the decade and losing your right to search and seizure is gratifying.

franticscribe and wicked like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

From Politico's Kyle Cheney:

"The frontrunner for the GOP nomination is sitting in a NY court today facing a former lawyer (Michael Cohen) while learning that another former lawyer (Ellis) pleaded guilty in GA just days after two others (Sidney Powell and Ken Chesebro) did the same."

Yeah, man, but Trump is innocent!

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Now don't go giving Mary Lou any more ideas. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted