1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Screw this guy, and screw all the lawyerly "entitled to a defense" BS. No. He isn't. He did it. People saw him do it. He admitted doing it.
    Why he did it doesn't matter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...f-attacking-nancy-pelosi-husband/71528174007/

Defense attorney Jodi Linker said Thursday she won’t dispute that her client David DePape attacked Paul Pelosi, an encounter caught on police body camera video. Instead, she will argue that he believed “with every ounce of his being” that he was taking action to stop government corruption and the abuse of children by politicians and actors.
    DePape pleaded not guilty to attempted kidnapping of a federal official and assault on the immediate family member of a federal official with intent to retaliate against the official for performance of their duties. The crux of Linker’s argument is that DePape is not guilty of the charges because he was not after Nancy Pelosi to try to stop her from engaging in her official duties.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

From a piece of fiction and tied to substantially different context, but ... "Making sure the Enquirer can write whatever it wants is the only way I can be sure the New York Times is writing whatever it wants."

There's a reason "entitled to a defense" extends beyond the lawyerly set. And that reason is a good one.

Neutral Corner and jr/shotglass like this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just because it's "lawyerly" doesn't mean it's a bad concept.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He’s entitled to make the defense. And then the jury foreman should be entitled to say “How bout no?” in their best Dr. Evil voice.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, that's certainly the way it's gonna go. But going through the motions ain't a waste of time.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A defense should be establishing why someone couldn't have done what they have been accused of doing, not looking for a loophole to let some nutcase free to harm someone else.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wait, is this take smallpotatoes to work day?

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

She certainly seems like the least crazy among them, which means she can’t win the GOP Primary.

garrow and sgreenwell like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

“I think in five or 10 years there’s not going to be a single person ― this is just my prediction ― in America that will ever admit they were a Trump supporter,” Kinzinger said on NBC’s “Meet the Press Now.”

“I think once this emotion’s gone and this election passes, people are going to wake up, they have to, I hope they do, wake up to just how bad it had gotten,” he explained. ...

Kinzinger said he voted for Trump in 2020 even after becoming a fierce critic of him during his one-term presidency.

Yeah, well, screw you, too, Einstein.

wicked and sgreenwell like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Alas, all I can think is, the trial's in San Francisco, from where the "Twinkie defense" worked.

Draft saved Draft deleted