1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Personal Reflection on One's Generation Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by justgladtobehere, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

38! Woo-Hoo!!! :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

She never loved you, though!

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's a total win-win!

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Kevin Smith is awful. His movies have terrible structure, are horribly self centered, and have a tone of misogony.

Forgive me if I don't find him a voice of a generation or even an artistic voice I can even give a shit about.

Liut likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Randal ordering videos is one of my fave scenes in any film

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Great thanks. Don’t want to out, but you’ve gotta be Phil Mushnik. Because you fucking hate everything.

Some respect for consistency I guess.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"You guys see any balls down there?"

"Bout the biggest pair you've ever seen...dingleberry."

garrow and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  8. justgladtobehere

Clerks was funny, but it's not a well made film and not just because it was cheap. Smith's films are so poorly done. Any independent director from the '90's who is still around is so much better than Smith.

His resume shows what Hollywood thinks of him. The results are in. He is not good.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I won't quibble with technique, that's been documented. Though, I think he improved in that aspect along the way. Clerks was basically a student film.

I'll absolutely push back on "what Hollywood thinks" and "he's not good." What Hollywood wants is largely awful, mass-produced, focus-group written garbage.

Smith has fans, obviously. Not everyone cup of tea and clearly not yours. Which is a-OK. But judging on "what Hollywood thinks" is a poor argument.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Musically speaking, as a Gen-X'er I was never into Pearl Jam, Kurt Cobain or Nirvana. And I certainly don't know who Morton Feldman, Pierre Schaffer and Theodor Adorno were.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

PJ's last good song was Daughter. They were enormous ... then faded out pretty fast.

12. justgladtobehere

Rian Johnson, Danny Boyle, Wes Anderson, PT Anderson, Quentin Tarantino are around Smith's age or had a debut film around the time of Clerks. Their debuts were much better and they don't go begging for work 30 years later. Smith's problem isn't which movies Hollywood is making.

Slacker was seen as more of a Gen X movie, even though Linklater is technically a boomer.

Draft saved Draft deleted