1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's also likely a large temptation to sell a grossly overpriced house and buy a nicer one for half the price elsewhere.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My brother's family moved to the city next to Eagle two years ago and my parents split their time between there and Colorado. They moved from California, minus the pensions, and were telling me about Eagle when I was up there for Christmas.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think doing that -- leaving California upon retirement -- might be more fraught financially than is obvious. For example ... Retirees' health plans aren't nearly so attractive when they've been taken across state lines.

wicked and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I did sneak in the phrase "and cost of living" in that post.

When we were in Montana, my wife and I played a round of golf at the Whitefish Country Club. We rented clubs, etc. Played with two members, and older lady and a man in early 50s. Both very nice to us, but both weary of californians. They had complaints about local assholes with CA plates, and that sort. We assured them that we had no interest in moving to Montana.

I play 18 holes with strangers, I am going to ask about them, their lives, etc. You have enough time. Turns out the gentleman moved from Yakima, WA only 18 months prior. In a good natured way, I called him out around the 12th hole, saying something to effect of "so I guess the gates close after you moved here". He laughed and said it was a bitch there until he get his new driver's license, new plates.

Late in the round, I hit a couple of nice drives and told the group that we are enjoying playing golf in elevation, that we changed our minds, and are planning to move there. They laughed.

All that said, we ate at some local Whitefish eateries, and I had to double check the bill, it was so much cheaper than I was used to in California.

And somehow, with all these people moving out of California, the traffic is as bad as ever in LA.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So what do these Californians DO to piss them off?

Or is it just their existence making their tranquil place more crowded?

Sea Bass and Driftwood like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People who live in scenic tourist destinations always resent out of staters. You should hear my golf partners talk about people from Connecticut, all of 70 miles away,

maumann likes this.
  7. poindexter

Liberal politics.

Agreed. But people in the bumfuckiest of Bumfuck, Idaho detest Californians as much. Liberal politics.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep. I hate everyone.

Watching tourists try to navigate the Beltway and other DC highways while also maneuvering around terrible Maryland drivers is ridiculously dangerous.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wait, there’s a cute clause in the Constitution? How did Trump ever get elected president? 400 pounds is not cute on a man.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. poindexter

It's gotta be hard for these hard right wing CALPERs-sucking Californians to move to Idaho or Montana or Tennessee, and fit in.
    They probably should have to do something like threaten an abortion doctor, or commit a local election fraud, to prove their bona fides to the local right wingers.

Sea Bass, wicked and I Should Coco like this.
  12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Speaking of relocation, I’m pretty sure New York City and Chicago have folks who are unhoused, sleeping on cold streets or wherever they might find shelter. They’d probably be much more comfortable in, say, south Texas or Florida. Free bus tickets might help them get there.

Draft saved Draft deleted