1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have first- and second-year Boomer parents -- and in the same boat. Very blessed they passed down the value of hard work. Dad ran a family business after his dad retired. Mom worked for several decades at a hospital. They are very fine financially and myself and my siblings always tell them to spend what they have (the four of us are very good financially).

I have a lot of what I have by earning it. I was a beneficiary when my sister and her family died in the plane crash and their estates were substantial (by my terms). It took me a long time and many talks with their/our attorney and others about getting what I did from their estates. And continue to get. It wasn't mine. I didn't want it. But for the many I talked to who said, "They would want you to have it otherwise they wouldn't have put it in their wills," even now it's still hard.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They decided where they wanted it to go if the day ever came. You shouldn't argue with them or feel guilty that they loved you enough to send it your way.

Peace and Grace to you.

SFIND and MileHigh like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm not rich by any means, but I lead a very comfortable life mainly because I lead a pretty simple life. I'm not cheap on purpose. I just don't need a whole lot... if you don't count fishing gear, grills, and coolers.
    I have learned not to skimp some things, but I also take care of maintain what I have.
    I mentioned having saved up for a new truck. Mine is a 2011 with 109K miles on it, which means I'm pretty boring by most people's standards. In the dozen years I've driven it, my cousin has driven no fewer than 24. I can think of three he's traded for this year. That's just not me.
    I change my own oil. My wife cuts my hair. I tie my own fishing rigs (because it saves money, I like doing it, and mine are better than store bought!). I read used books. I sharpen my chainsaw blades and repair my lawnmower when it's down.
    As for the land I was fortunate enough to inherit, which actually started with my great grandfather, I'm truly not exaggerating that I have paid for it over and over with various bodily fluids spilled on every singe acre.
    Again, I'm blessed in many ways and give thanks every night before I go to bed.

4. MileHigh

I don't consider myself rich. But certainly comfortable. I have an emergency fund. I only get what I need. I bought a new car three years ago because, well, I could (and super-low interest rate helped), and it was time. Same with moving (again, super-low interest rate). I'm lucky (beyond losing the family members). I know not everyone else can be in the same boat I am.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My wife and I bought our house in 2005, and it's all ours now (although writing that $5K property tax check today has me scratching my head about that). It has four bedrooms, only one of which is generally occupied unless I've sipped it up and have been snoring too bad. Anybody wants to gripe about that* can pound sand.

*Our housing status, not my snoring.

dixiehack, MileHigh and Driftwood like this.
  6. MileHigh

Bracing next month for a 30% to 40% spike in our property taxes here.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It does make you question whether you're a home "owner" or not.

BTExpress likes this.
  8. MileHigh

Welp, I've got three properties. Triplex (rental). Townhouse (rental). Condo (where I live). The first two have no mortgages. The condo has a good chunk of equity. We'll see after the tax bills come due.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We came into some money late last year and are planning to pay off the house in the next month or two. It's just a two-bedroom with a lot, but it's our little slice of paradise. We've got the picket fence and the dog and everything, living the American dream.
    Plus, since my wife is disabled, our property taxes are something like $150 a year. Beginning next year we'll just have to remember to pay it (and the homeowner's insurance premiums) ourselves instead of Chase taking care of it for us.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You'll get a "proposed" bill in September with two numbers (one with a lower number, one with a higher number if proposed additions are approved). Then a real bill comes at the end of October with all the "proposed" additions magically approved.

If you pay by Nov. 30, you get a 4% discount (at least in the states where I've lived).

Wrote a fucking $4,400 check a few weeks ago. Ugh.

You should be getting some money back from the mortgage company for all the money you have sent them since they paid the last tax/insurance bills.

Batman likes this.
  11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If you need someone to send hand-tied surf rigs to as a Christmas present, hit me up ...

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Today is my last day driving the 301,963-mile Civic to work. An intermittent problem of not wanting to start during errands (when the engine is still warm) cannot be diagnosed by the three repair shops I've taken it to (even after throwing away $1,000+ in their fixes that didn't fix it). A shame. Starts and runs just fine with the engine cold --- and in the presence of every repair person who looks at it.

Picking up a new-er (still pretty old, but only 16,700 miles on it) Civic tomorrow. Haven't driven a car with so few miles on it since that magical year of 1998.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted