1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Far Out Names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 13, 2024.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Ran into a prep coach I used to write about. His name is Harry Post.
    He was a middle school teacher so there were no snickers.
    I told a co-worker who was in his class 30-plus years ago that I saw him and all these years later she laughed at his name.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Pitcher Mark Lemongello was with the Astros on the 1970s. Isn't he doing time somewhere now?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fair Hooker always cracked me up.

misterbc and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Fiona? You did a bad, bad thing.

Spartan Squad and I Should Coco like this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin famously named their daughter Apple (and she is almost a spitting image of Gwyneth).

Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple Martin makes her fashion week debut during Chanel show in Paris and she is the moment

I thought about that when Bruce Willis and Demi Moore named their first two daughters Rumer and Scout. I've seen a high school quarterback and a high school girls' basketball player each named Scout.

I don't know any families with the last name Swift but it's not uncommon and wonder if there's another Taylor Swift out there.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Years ago, I was taking pics for a school event at the local junior high. Snapped a pic of a group of kids working on a project, then proceeded to have them tell me their names. Things are going fine until I get to a girl who says "Rosie Areola." My head pops up from my notebook to look her square in the eye, then I look to the teacher. Teacher says, "Yes, that's right."
    Different school had a high school football coach named B.J. Queen. He preferred the letters; we never learned what they stood for.
    One year the all-district football team included a linebacker (not from one of our teams) named Magnus Bitsch. We later learned he was a foreign exchange student.

8. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Thirty years ago a school news release came across my desk for a kid who got some kind of achievement award. His name was Be A. Ware. This thread reminded me of Be, so I googled his name. Looks like he's doing OK. He dropped the MI on his LinkedIn page, so he's just Be Ware. Be Ware - Husco | LinkedIn

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was this his father?

[​IMG]

Flip Wilson likes this.
  10. Mr._Graybeard

I guess you didn't recognize him without the shades.

11. Mr._Graybeard

Seriously, his name must have inspired him -- he got an engineering degree from MIT and became a corporate exec in his hometown.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Not really fitting here, but I once covered a HS football game where local team played a first-year team from the other side of the state. We had no information on the team (pre-internet), no roster or anything. I asked the visiting coach "what's your nickname?" His response: "Most people just call me George" Oh, the only way I got the roster was he had a student manager walk with me while the team was doing warmups and matched names and numbers.

MTM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted