1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Messenger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by scribe77, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Wouldn't it be better for the owners to accept a good offer rather than folding? What kind of tax benefits would they get for just folding it?

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Why does everyone say they’re going to transform this or put that out of business? Nothing wrong with a little ambition, but how about getting your legs under you at first before you make silly bold predictions about how wonderful and vital your product is/will be?

playthrough and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I wonder if this doesn't have something to do with the cultures of the places that fund these media startups.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Probably. The most ridiculous was The Athletic, which pledged to put the newspaper sports page out of business... until it was bought by a newspaper company. I suppose they did put the NYT sports page out of business.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FWIW, since this thread popped up, I've been reading The Messenger and there are several informative and well written long-form articles on it.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

EDIT: I’m told the Messenger will shut down tomorrow.

From the Daily Beast:

Troubled media startup The Messenger, which has been desperately trying to raise money in recent weeks to stay afloat, is expected to tell
    employees this week whether the site will shut down or the fundraising efforts have been successful ...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Guessing that meeting didn't go well.

FWIW I had thought about applying there way back when but I friend who is well connected in digital circles said they had no plan and it wouldn't last. Was hoping he'd be wrong but figured he'd be right. Unfortunately.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

11. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

There’s something fiendishly American about blowing through $50 million in less than a year on a poorly planned, poorly executed enterprise and having no money left for severance.

Draft saved Draft deleted