1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I have no idea what that word means and neither does Google.

But cue the "We've never had a democracy, it's a constitutional republic" comments.

I'm all for reforming our system, dramatically, btw. Just don't think it'll ever actually happen.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Get rid of:
    Electoral College
    Debt ceiling
    Filibuster

Get:
    DC/PR statehood
    SCOTUS expansion

3. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see the size of the House doubled, to 1000 members. It would make elections less expensive, improve constituent access, make special-interest lobbying more difficult and reduce the disproportionate electoral power of sparsely-populated states.

The British House of Commons has 650 members. In this computer age, there's no reason why 1000 members wouldn't be manageable.

garrow likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Have you seen how the House is functioning with 435 members? New Hampshire has a huge state House of Representatives, like 400 members. All this has done for its functioning is to increase the number of ding-a-ling reps. No matter what the size of a legislative body, it doesn't take too many of them to cause dysfunction.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I did think there was an implied deal that Biden was just doing one term.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Ugh, NYT. Ugh.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Once he named Harris as VP, he has to support her if he did one term or else the party would be in chaos. And she can’t win against Trump. Maybe if he announced early in his term or right after the midterms that he wouldn’t seek reelection and was staying neutral he could have threaded the needle but that time passed.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL who wrote that, Walter Duranty?

matt_garth and garrow like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Pass laws that outlaw the Citizens United decision.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

WTF, Politico reports Fatf*ck says “he’d encourage Russia to attack NATO members who don’t pay dues?!!!!”

Total idiot, whole point of NATO is to protect against Russia!

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was also implied that Trump would be gone after losing then pulling his bullshit out the door yet here we are.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's the counterweight. Trump exerting this tidal pull on the R's was not accounted for in the "for one term" equation.

garrow and TowelWaver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted