1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Dominion should have finished them

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with everything you are saying, except for one little thing. ... I think it is the way it should be.

Prosecutors are given authority to go after people, tie them up in legal hell (with all the taxpayer funded resources they decide to throw at you, while you can go bankrupt giving yourself the best defense you can find), and possibly take away their freedom.

The people who can do that any of us should be unimpeachable. Our system gives us the presumption of innocence, which means that a defendant gets a ton of latitude to get themselves off. The prosecutor has to be perfect, and should have to be perfect. I'm OK with that if in the ideal of the system we have, it keeps innocent people out of prison.

I agree with the rest of what you're saying. She opened the door for them to argue credibly enough that some perceived misconduct is making it so the defendants aren't being treated fairly. The defendants were able to make all kinds of other claims, for example improper financial gain that taints motives behind the prosecution itself.

Those lawyers are grasping at straws, but she gave them those straws with enough there there for it to require an evidentiary hearing and to create a headlines that could erode public trust in the prosecution. That's on her.

wicked and FileNotFound like this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

coffeeman-

I am such an old fart in newspapers I've seen multiple 'husband-wife teams' hired in my time. Those don't always work out so well, either.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Apparently one clown on MSNBC predicted Willis would DeFiNiTeLy be removed from the case. Who was this clown?

5. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Perhaps he should shut down his campaign and concentrate on defending himself in court. Perhaps it was an unwise choice to attempt to deal with the trials and campaign at the same time.

Fred siegle and garrow like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Beau put out a video today that pointed out that framing the Stormy Daniels coverup as "a hush money case" was inaccurate and misses the point. Trump is actually charged with thirtysomething counts of falsification of business records to obscure the money's source and what was done with it.

By a strange coincidence, the Fani Willis case is about her being accused by the Republicans of having a relationship with another prosecuting attorney and denying it. They're making noises about financial improprieties but there seems to be no evidence of it. The one thing that they do have is that they had a relationship, which she no longer denies, and that she initially denied it on record, that she falsified a record.

So essentially, Trump's lawyers are saying that Willis doing this once is enough of a crime to disqualify her from trying the case, while Trump doing it thirty plus times isn't a crime and the case should be dismissed.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If the world goes to shit, I do not have a stash of gold or silver.
    I do, however, have a stockpile of lead.

Twirling Time likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Re the Willis inquiry, I recommend you scan Katie Phang's live tweeting of the hearing. I'm not sure that they've really got much other than that it looks bad, and that she initially denied a relationship on record.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Go back and look at the joy and optimism of this thread 6,423 pages ago. We thought the orange stain was washed from our lives.
    We thought the sumbitch was going away.
    Crap.

11. Neutral Corner

I'm rooting for a coronary or a stroke. I don't say something that heinous often.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tucker Carlson is looking like a bigger idiot than usual with his grocery shopping in Russia video.

“Oh, you put a coin in here and get it back when you return the cart!” Like Aldi has done forever?

Then he marvels at how cheap the food is, even though what he bought would cost more 70% of a median salary in Russia.

TowelWaver, garrow, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted