1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

garrow, matt_garth and FileNotFound like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Slacker and garrow like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, those TAs he’s shitting on are busting ass too. But I guess they aren’t being Economically Stressed The Right Way.

garrow likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, he’s gotta lose. Has to. The last 8 years have been awful for American discourse and culture, and he’s the reason.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My wife has her own mini-business, is typically on the phone all day and was flipping out this morning because she thought AT&T had fucked up her phone somehow. She calmed down slightly when she found out it was The Great Outage instead of just her.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Been thinking about the Alabama IVF ruling through the lense of two couples who I’m close friends with. Both couples went that route. At great expense because they wanted nothing more to than to have a kid. Thankfully it worked, which isn’t always the case.

I cannot imagine being in their shoes if something like this ridiculous ruling had happened to them while they were in that very long, expensive process. An absolute slap in the face. And heartbreaking.

I do my best to not get into religion with anyone. I was raised Christian but have been agnostic for years and years. I try not to question anyone’s religion. But that is severely tested when a small but vocal minority with some power is working to force its religious beliefs on everyone else.

In one of trump’s dumb fucking demented rants, he moaned about people not following “our religion.” The fact he’s the most immoral, least religious president in our history is a whole other conversation.

There is no “our” religion in this country. Yet, for purely religious reasons, IVF is under attack. Roe is gone. And there’s serious talk of going after birth control and gay marriage. Among other targets of the radical religious right in this country.

Do what YOU personally want to do on those very personal, private issues. And leave the rest of us the fuck alone.

From a purely political and cynical standpoint, I think IVF on top of Roe is the reason the trumplicans are going to get stomped in November (in combo with solid administration accomplishments and the best post-pandemic economic rebound in the world).

But the damage is being done and will take years to fix.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Alabama justices wanna force women to have kids on the one hand, but won’t let people use science to try and have a kid on the other.

We tried IVF. It failed. Two years later it still stings.

OscarMadison, maumann and TigerVols like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My son will be getting up in an hour to get ready for school. He’ll likely want to do some math problems, because somehow I, a journalist who needed help to get through calc with a B-, produced a five-year-old who can multiply and divide very large numbers while in preschool. He will think thoughts I never could. Give this world more than I ever could. An IVF baby. The only way I’d ever have been able to have one.

Fuck these people. Let’s bury them in November.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think this is a new working class thought?
    c'mon

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

There was a caller to the local conserva-talk show who said that exact same point. Now I know where the message came from.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If Dems were smart and not afraid to rock the boat, they need to run ads with actual people born from IVF and have them say that Republicans believe that they should never have existed.

Draft saved Draft deleted