1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure, if Steward wanted to do it on his Facebook page, Twitter or whatever, no problem. We're not getting paid a million plus to eulogize our pets. What's next? Vacation photos? Rants about bad service at a restaurant? Getting bumped from a flight?
    Give the viewers or readers some value when you are on the job, that's all I'm saying. Its not even about Stewart but about hosts using their platforms for their personal business. Hell, on-air proposals from local news anchors? Ack!

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Perfect synergy between avatar and post right now.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Meh, it's just fine for what it is -- a cop procedural with soap-opera byplay. It's not the first series to win with that formula.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I watched the Stewart tribute to his dog. To me, it seemed like he was going to say something short and sweet and he just sort of lost it as soon as he started. Which is more than understandable. For a lot of people, including me, losing a pet is like losing a member of the family.

It's not like it's an actual news show. Sure, he covers some serious news topics, but it's not a news show. I don't think any lines were crossed. It was pretty touching, to me at least.

5. DanOregon

I LIKE Stewart, it just seems beneath him to use his show to mourn his dog. Kelly Ripa? Dr. Phil? fine...

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’m not sure Jon Stewart is that attached to Kelly Ripa or Dr. Phil.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  7. Deskgrunt50

Ok, this was an audible laugh. Well played.

8. Deskgrunt50

I dunno. So many things are just bitter and angry these days. This just seemed heartfelt. But, to each their own.

On a kinda related topic (emotions, etc.), I found myself for the first time REALLY affected by the January/February clock change. "Depressed" isn't the right word, but kinda down. Though, there's been a lot of heavy emotional stuff for me (well, everyone) the last few years. Maybe I haven't dealt with it properly and it sort of just caught up to me.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in that regard. Everyone had dealt with a lot of shit, and the angry tone of our discourse can really build up because it's seemingly unrelenting.

That, perhaps, makes me extra OK with anyone who expresses grief, pent-up or sudden. It'd probably be helpful if more of us allowed ourselves to do that more often.

Sorry, I was just typing. Didn't mean to go all "ABC After School Special" on the topic.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  9. DanOregon

I think my point is - you want to eulogize your pet - buy an obit. Do it on your own time. Your own dime. You think others working on the show haven't lost pets?

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

@DanOregon I completely have your back on this. Stewart works one day a week, and I think this was his third episode? Spending so much time on something that’s so highly personal, but doesn’t really apply to anyone else and can’t be used as a metaphor for things that are going on in the country or in the news, it’s really off putting to this viewer. It makes a lot of sense for a show like the view or Kelly and Marc, or even one of the late night talk shows maybe, but not a comedy political event show.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I found this February really strange. I was mildly depressed which isn’t unusual, and I don’t have any extra or unusual stressors. I feel like the amount of text messages I normally get was down 60 per cent or so - everyone just seemed to have their head down and pushing along. Glad it’s over.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that it was incredibly good. The actor playing Blackthorne for me has been the one weak spot so far.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted