1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’ll start looking at the polls in April.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There are still morons who claim COVID was a hoax/not that bad/etc. "It's just a cold."

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's mathematically possible to lose the popular vote by something like 85 million and still win the election with a little more than 21% of the vote.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Democrats seize on a GOP budget proposal that would raise Social Security retirement age
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/21/republican-budget-retirement-ivf/

In a deeply polarized election year, President Biden and fellow Democrats wasted little time lambasting a budget proposal from a large group of House Republicans that would, among other things, raise the retirement age for Social Security and endorse a bill that would codify that life begins at conception.

The fiscal 2025 budget proposal was released Wednesday by the Republican Study Committee — a bloc that includes 80 percent of Republicans in the House, including every member of House leadership. RSC’s proposed budget was released weeks after House Republicans advanced the conference’s official budget plan out of committee.

While the proposal from the Republican faction is unlikely to become law, it offers insight into how Republicans could seek to govern if they win control of Congress and the White House in the 2024 elections. The White House, Democratic lawmakers and political groups hoping to elect more Democrats in November seized on the issue.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I haven't spent much time on this, so the proposal is to raise the retirement age to 69 (will not use "nice" here).

I've never seen where the line is drawn, as they claim it won't affect people who are close
    to retirement. What's that, anyone under 50 right now? 60? I'm at the age that shit matters a metric fuck-ton.

Also, go ahead and run on this, trumplicans. Combo it with taking away women's rights. Dumbfucks.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of course!

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Again, I think 70% of the people in this country are sick to death of Trump and his fascist clan and he'll get thumped in November. But the Ds need to hammer, hammer, hammer and hammer, get the vote out and take nothing for granted. When Taylor Swift endorses Biden in late October - which she will - the game is over.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There was a grand bargain to be made on raising retirement age (which will need to happen as life expectancy increases) 15-20 years ago.

We are well past the time that bargain could be made now. So we’ll just let the system collapse and reduce benefits by 30 percent in the 2030s.

Awesome. Awesome.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of course

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That’s just nuts. I know it will never happen but the EC has to go.

Driftwood and I Should Coco like this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fuck that. Cut the Pentagon budget 20 percent, problem solved.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When the retirement age was slowly and gradually raised to 67 beginning in 1983, it only applied to people 23 or younger (born in 1960 or later).

It took until 2022 until the first full benefits at age 67 started being paid out. There was an 11-year hiatus where it stayed at 66.

Deskgrunt50 and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted