1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gurugram, but close enough.

Fuck you, McClatchy.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Saw their EE issued an apology on Twitter, but never did any explaining of how it happened.

Not that it changes the mistake, but the mea culpa felt a little superficial and shallow without it.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Darn those Cs and Ks ... the Indy Star once had a hed about former Indy 500 champ Tony Canaan. Ancient civilizations!

maumann, Hermes and franticscribe like this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The (Durham) Herald-Sun confused the Blue Devils and Tar Heels in heds and cutlines on multiple occasions during the Paxton-era.

maumann likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was about to post this.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I mean, I agree handing over millions to a guy named John Kalipari won’t solve UK’s problems.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I left there, there were no true head specs for people to write. All you knew was whether the story was in a 1-col, CP or bottom of the page hole, and you had guidelines for how many characters each required.

You could not predict, however, exactly where the headline might break, so even if your character count was good it could still be fucked up.

It's also entirely possible --- if not probable --- that the headline was written by one of the handful of American staffers they have left. THEY were supposed to be the ones writing display headlines, with the people in India ordered not to touch. But who knows what all has changed in the past 33 months since that clusterfuck began.

Looks like they fixed it for their E-edition (unless they had a stop-the-presses moment). And even spelled Lynyrd Skynyrd correctly.

KY_LHL.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Kalipari sounds and looks like an indoor waterpark resort located near a Six Flags.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

i thought it sounded like one of the temu knockoffs selling salad spinners and LED showerheads in my twitter feed

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Before using Kalipari ®, tell your health care provider if you have any other medical conditions, including if you:
    • have or have had problems with your pancreas or kidneys.
    • have a history of diabetic retinopathy.
    • are pregnant or breastfeeding or plan to become pregnant or breastfeed. It is not known if Kalipari ® will harm your unborn baby or passes into your breast milk. You should stop using Kalipari ® 2 months before you plan to become pregnant.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This one actually made me LOL.

dixiehack likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Getting "Calipari" wrong while getting "Lynyrd Skynyrd" right is the most Kentucky thing ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted